• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

is it me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
. Polite requests to drop the CB lingo, 10 codes etc etc were met with responses like "Fuck you! I have a ticket and am not doing anything illegal so mind your own fucking business!" Now you know why it is as it is.

I have heard this crap on the HF bands as well. Sadly its all over anymore.*Don`t do it*

Im with C.K. Proof is in the pudding you want your ticket then get it and treat it with respect with respect of others. Im a licensed operator and a few times aweek jump on an 11 meter Sideband at 11:00 pm until whenever and check into a SSB net Ive belonged to since the early 1990's where there are also a few fellow ham operators also check in.

Ill tell ya what there are a few CB guys that belong to the group that I wish would simply dissapear but there ignorance will always be present and I can only tell myself how happy I am that they will always remain CB only operators because when Ive had my fill of their ignorance and stupidity i can hit the other bands.

I am happy to greet any new comers to the amateur hobby and never down them and to be honest the groups I talk with know I frequent a group on 11 meter SSB 27.375.00 and we even talk about the CB days or the equipment nobody spouts off at the mouth about it or downs anyone. That does not mean they all agree and half to like it but they are considerate to others conversation whatever it may be. Im not the least bit ashamed of any of my radio hobby and you have to remember alot or most operators nowdays on the air pretty much started on 11 meter band and still frequent it I know this because I do and have heard others I know on that band.

If you are easily offended by what this guy did to you then ide just stay on 1 meters because theres idiots onCB radio and Amateur radio and theres no getting around it but if you are bothered easily by this type of behaviour then if you choose to go Amateur aswell as 1 meter you would be getting a doubble dose and would certainly just be miserable because as mentioned there are idiots everywhere all over the world no matter what you do or where you go ;)

I guess Im lucky because I dont let that "$h!+" bother me and I pretty much laugh it of or laugh at people like that.

Just a note here.....CBer versus ham threads do not last long here. :whistle:

On that note I will add that if you want a ham ticket then get it. just don't bother to mention that you are on CB. The issue goes back a long way and continues to this day. many CBers got their ham tickets and continued the same old CB lingo and way of operating ( over modulated radios, dirty class C amps, roger beeps etc) on the ham bands which has caused a lot of grief. The stereotypical CBer is someone who operates on the freeband, runs dirty class C amps, uses roger beeps, and has a general disregard for the rules. This stereotype fits a huge percentage of CBers therefore it is no wonder that they are often looked down upon by hams.Many of them have gotten their ticket and continued to run their export radios, roger beeps and class C amps on 10/12m That is the basic reason why some hams treat CBers the way they do. We have a repeater up here that became know as the 2m CB repeater because a bunch of former CBers basically took it over. Polite requests to drop the CB lingo, 10 codes etc etc were met with responses like "Fuck you! I have a ticket and am not doing anything illegal so mind your own fucking business!" Now you know why it is as it is.

As I said in my first line above CB versus ham threads do not last long here so lets not get into that. I merely posted the above as background info as to why some things are as they are.

Why do they have to stop using 10 codes? Because you don't want them to? Arrogance. You can't control what people do or say. They have every right to use whatever language they want. It might be undesirable, but it is what it is. I don't like people displaying flags of Ireland, Mexico, or wherever their family came from on their car windows. I think they should display American or state flags. I can't make them take it down. I also think that Americans should speak English. I don't like having to choose options for different languages at the ATM or talking to an auto-mated phone message. I don't like getting something other than what I ordered at fast food resturaunt, because the person behind the counter doesn't speak English. But, I fought for people's freedom to do whatever, and that includes whether I like it or not. Is it unfortunate to allow change that we don't want? Yes. Is it up to us to stop it? Unfortunately, no.

Reactions: 2 people
Why do they have to stop using 10 codes? Because you don't want them to? Arrogance. You can't control what people do or say. They have every right to use whatever language they want. It might be undesirable, but it is what it is. I don't like people displaying flags of Ireland, Mexico, or wherever their family came from on their car windows. I think they should display American or state flags. I can't make them take it down. I also think that Americans should speak English. I don't like having to choose options for different languages at the ATM or talking to an auto-mated phone message. I don't like getting something other than what I ordered at fast food resturaunt, because the person behind the counter doesn't speak English. But, I fought for people's freedom to do whatever, and that includes whether I like it or not. Is it unfortunate to allow change that we don't want? Yes. Is it up to us to stop it? Unfortunately, no.

Do you even realize just how many times you have contradicted yourself in your own post?

Basically you are saying that if you live in America you should act just like a born and bred American. Speak English, display only American flags,etc yet you say that I shouldn't expect someone that comes into "my bands" (the ham bands) willingly and with an understanding of what is expected and what is not, to follow the normally accepted rules of behavior on those bands. That sir is called being a hypocrite. When someone comes into your house do you not expect them to follow your rules? The same thing applies to the ham bands. There is a completely different operating protocol there. Leave the 10 codes, the roger beeps, the echo, the over deviated power microphone driven 2m radios, and the class C shit box amplifiers off the air. Take the other crap back to 11m if you still have the urge to be annoying. Yeah I know, some hams are annoying too but the point is don't bring trash from one radio service to another where it is not needed nor wanted.

Lets see just how far this thread goes before it gets locked down or deleted just like all the rest that start off this way. As I warned before,these threads never last long regardless of who starts it or why. They all start off with a decent discussion and then someone on one side or the other starts yapping and gets all up in someone else's face about someone else being self righteous or arrogant and then it really goes downhill fast.They all end the same way. Shall I start the lock-down timer?

Reactions: 3 people
Do you even realize just how many times you have contradicted yourself in your own post?

Basically you are saying that if you live in America you should act just like a born and bred American. Speak English, display only American flags,etc yet you say that I shouldn't expect someone that comes into "my bands" (the ham bands) willingly and with an understanding of what is expected and what is not, to follow the normally accepted rules of behavior on those bands. That sir is called being a hypocrite. When someone comes into your house do you not expect them to follow your rules? The same thing applies to the ham bands. There is a completely different operating protocol there. Leave the 10 codes, the roger beeps, the echo, the over deviated power microphone driven 2m radios, and the class C shit box amplifiers off the air. Take the other crap back to 11m if you still have the urge to be annoying. Yeah I know, some hams are annoying too but the point is don't bring trash from one radio service to another where it is not needed nor wanted.

Lets see just how far this thread goes before it gets locked down or deleted just like all the rest that start off this way. As I warned before,these threads never last long regardless of who starts it or why. They all start off with a decent discussion and then someone on one side or the other starts yapping and gets all up in someone else's face about someone else being self righteous or arrogant and then it really goes downhill fast.They all end the same way. Shall I start the lock-down timer?

I am sure they would use a Collins or a Henry if they had one. :D

I would take a Collins or a Henry any day over a Dave Made or a Fat Boy etc.. Hell even an Ameritron will do. At least it's not class C. (y)

You hams prefer the Q signs over the 10 codes right?

My brother was a military man...he would listen to my radios monitoring police and ham and CB.....he thought all of them used bad brevity. :)

I read a lot about this subject, and never bother to comment. I see little value in it, and furthermore do not want to cause any further antagonism between services. I may need the help and/or friendship of someone I inadvertently offended.
I will say that I have a couple of good friends who are licensed Amateurs. One shares by back fence and our hobby. In fact, his wife is also a long time licensed Ham. Neither of these fine folks have any issue with me being a CBer. They encourage my interest in radio, Ham and 11 meters. The four element Yagi I fly is the product of my neighbors generosity of materials, time spent, and the joint labor we both spent together building the 11 meter antenna.
I have also met numerous other Hams during the course of my work at the Home Depot, and in every case I have been treated with courtesy. Most of them are in the store looking for materials to erect various antennas, and when they ask me about where in the store they might find those items my internal antenna resonates at the same frequency they are thinking. In a matter of minutes we are discussing the hobby and sharing interests. Sometimes they seem surprised that I am as interested in building my antennas in the same fashion as they as Hams do, and they encourage me to become licensed as well.
I believe the bridge that has set aside the rancor between me and Hams so far has been the commonality of our interests, and my willingness to demonstrate respect for the hobby they cherish. True learning that goes beyond picking up a microphone and talking the loudest and the farthest is the tradition that I believe has differentiated between the services as a norm. I know there are exceptions, yet I respect the facts as they stand, and they are that there is a great amount of pride rooted in the histories of all the services.
I am not trying to lift the perceived image of the one service, but neither am I willing to try to alter that of the other. I am just Homer, and I love radio. I also respect those who value it on any level.
When I don't like the people, I tinker with another antenna. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.