• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Is it safer to ship USPS, UPS, or FED EX?

SmackDown

I keep reading about sellers and buyers getting "ripped", and I often wondered how they shipped/received their items. I found that only the USPS will go after anyone committing fraud using the postal service. Those guarantees aren't available for UPS or Fed Ex customers where I guess using Paypal affords some protection against fraud and ripoffs.

3's

Exactly how are the people getting ripped off? Not sure exactly what you are talking about.

UPS & FX is always fully trackable and you can get Delivery and/or Signature Confirmation with mail.

I sell a bit on ebay and always use the mail unless an item gets really big or heavy, then may use UPS for cheaper rate.

UPS and FedEx REALLY throw the packages around and the handlers don't care.
The key to shipping is YOUR PACKAGING. If the item is any close to being fragile or sensitive, then you must pack them well and securely. Use an oversize box and lots of good padding like bubble wrap. Make sure box is stuffed with whatever-padding so the item cannot move around any. And then use GOOD packing tape and tape the heck out the box. Yes good tape and bubble wrap costs money but that's just part of the price of doing business and/or sending stuff safely.

Then on any item whose value goes over around say ..... $50, I get the insurance. It is cheap and pays you back for item, mailing fee and insurance fee ..... all of it ... if they damage the box or lose it.

Again... item shipping safety is all in your packaging and not so much about which service you use.

I think UPS and FEDEX are safer, since they are better suited to actually track your package in real time. All 3 have gorillas that handle your packages anyways.

Priority mail is what I normally use. USPS uses UPS's planes to ship hub to hub, then USPS monkey's take it from there to deliver regionally. Depending on package, I get quotes from all 3.

I do use USPS the most.

I have gone strictly to USPS for the last 10 years now. I had several issues with the Brown truck line and won't ever ship through them again.

My issues with the UPS was mostly in the receiving area - packages opened and contents checked, firearm left at house on the next street over and no one was home, several contents damaged by boxes from being smashed. Sooo I just quit messing with them.

Well a member here opened a thread about being ripped off where he sent some goods and nothing was returned to him as promised. He claims to have all the emails to substantiate his claim. I am aware that the USPS has the office of the postmaster general that will investigate and prosecute anyone using the mail system to defraud others. I am not aware of a mechanism like that with UPS or Fed Ex and wondered what protection if any is afforded by shippers that are not the USPS.

3's

UPS and FEDEX just have insurance you can buy. I guess that's about the only protection. I think they give you up to $100 free. Anymore than that and you have to pay.

I have never had a bad experience with either UPS or FedEx other than having a new IC-707 being held up over 2 weeks when UPS went on strike. Had to happen just after HRO shipped it.

Well a member here opened a thread about being ripped off where he sent some goods and nothing was returned to him as promised. He claims to have all the emails to substantiate his claim. I am aware that the USPS has the office of the postmaster general that will investigate and prosecute anyone using the mail system to defraud others. I am not aware of a mechanism like that with UPS or Fed Ex and wondered what protection if any is afforded by shippers that are not the USPS.

3's

That situation had nothing to do with any shipping service. The guy was involved in a gear trade. His gear for another guy's gear. 1st party sent his gear then the 2nd party disappeared. His beef is with the 2nd guy only.

I think UPS and FEDEX are safer, since they are better suited to actually track your package in real time. All 3 have gorillas that handle your packages anyways.

Priority mail is what I normally use. USPS uses UPS's planes to ship hub to hub, then USPS monkey's take it from there to deliver regionally. Depending on package, I get quotes from all 3.

I do use USPS the most.

That is for dang sure...I have heard them out in front of my house slamming packages around.

I've had them throw packages on my front porch that sounded like a bomb going off. Scares you, by the the time I get up to bitch, they are long gone.

Luckily, it's been sturdy stuff.

Knock wood.

I've had them throw packages on my front porch that sounded like a bomb going off. Scares you, by the the time I get up to bitch, they are long gone.

Luckily, it's been sturdy stuff.

Knock wood.

Anything I buy that has to be shipped to me I warn them of how they treat packages and to encase the item in about 1ft of bubble wrap....then double box it with styro foam between the boxes.
I bought a Carvin Legacy amp head off a guy and told him to pack well or it would arrive DOA...he did not listen...used old newspapers as insulation...sure enough the amp arrived DOA....he did not even remove the tubes....some people do not know how to pack well and some just do not give a sh#t.

When I'm buying stuff from you guys down south, I always request USPS. Those other guys rape me with additional brokers fee's and other cross border bullsh1t. I can't believe how some people pack stuff and it still shows up at my door in one piece.

Last edited:
Exactly how are the people getting ripped off? Not sure exactly what you are talking about.

UPS & FX is always fully trackable and you can get Delivery and/or Signature Confirmation with mail.

I sell a bit on ebay and always use the mail unless an item gets really big or heavy, then may use UPS for cheaper rate.

UPS and FedEx REALLY throw the packages around and the handlers don't care.
The key to shipping is YOUR PACKAGING. If the item is any close to being fragile or sensitive, then you must pack them well and securely. Use an oversize box and lots of good padding like bubble wrap. Make sure box is stuffed with whatever-padding so the item cannot move around any. And then use GOOD packing tape and tape the heck out the box. Yes good tape and bubble wrap costs money but that's just part of the price of doing business and/or sending stuff safely.

Then on any item whose value goes over around say ..... $50, I get the insurance. It is cheap and pays you back for item, mailing fee and insurance fee ..... all of it ... if they damage the box or lose it.

Again... item shipping safety is all in your packaging and not so much about which service you use.

Absolutely. I always ship usps it is a heck of alot safer too many problems with smashes boxes from ups and narcex(fedex). I never ever cheap out on bubblewrap or tape its what keeps the items to its safe destination. But when the item becomes to be too heavy ups is the way to go or ups because it costs less.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Well.... 30 Years ago i had a serious issue that took 2.5 months to solve or get my equipment ( it was either an issue with UPS or with copper electronics )..

However..
If you are to do regular business it is hard to say which carrier is better..

Get to know the local drivers ( as i have ) and you should have no issues with any of them..

Nowadays i use USPS for small items otherwise i use UPS (or sometimes fedex )

I know all the local drivers of both UPS & FedEx and those of USPS

Hope that helps

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.