• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Is There Anyway to Identify A Saturn Base Radio by its Serial Number?

danmcclain

Dec 11, 2020
I'm trying to identify the version of a Saturn Base Station that has no Model tag on the back of unit, just a serial number which is 022083. Help please... Dan

Only thing I can think of doing is comparing it with other pictures of the saturn base radios off google images.

Hi Dan. You may need to pop the cover and get the board number / version which is silkscreened on board for others knowledgable to assist. I had a saturn in the past and needed to confirm this info when i was looking for help with it. Hth 73 Jeff

Reactions: AudioShockwav
The Galaxy " planet" radios, Saturn, Pluto, Uranus, ECT were made by Ranger for a couple brothers in up state New York.
No warranty, no factory service.
You can open it up and take a couple pictures of the main board but if I remember correct they are all 14b boards.
Jeff

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Hi Dan. You may need to pop the cover and get the board number / version which is silkscreened on board for others knowledgable to assist. I had a saturn in the past and needed to confirm this info when i was looking for help with it. Hth 73 Jeff
Thanks for the info... Dan
What are you trying to figure out Dan?

Jeff
I guess I'm on a wild goose chase, was trying to identify the version of Saturn that a friends radio was to get the proper info on it. But since none was made available, my search is for naught. Thank you everyone for your input... Dan

Reactions: doffo
If you can get him to open it and identify the main board something like a ept360014b or the like it is the same as many other models.
All the service data can be had with the board number

Jeff

Last edited:
Reactions: jrd426
If you can get him to open it and identify the main board something like a ept360014b or the like it is the same as many other models.
All the service data can be had with the board number

Jeff
I beginning to think this guy is a wanna-be tech....Instead of tracing circuits he's swapping parts from other radios... This is what he said about the pc board number: Board says SONG U TL-1

The 6-digit serial numbers indicate a radio pre-Y2K. First digit is the last digit of the year. Makes this one sound like 1990. A glance at the MC145106 PLL chip inside will reveal a 4-digit date code that can narrow this down.

Older versions of the S042P transmit-mixer chip will also have a 4-digit "open" date code. Two digits for the year, followed by the week 01-52.

After Y2K the radio's serial number format changed to include a letter identifying the factory. "M" for Malaysia, "T" for Taiwan. Pretty sure the "first digit" or "first 2 digits" rule applies to those radios as well.

If it's old enough, the "EPT"-prefixed circuit-board number may in fact start with "SRT", followed by the four digits "3600" followed by "10A". This will be printed in copper foil on the solder side, usually right next to the TA72222 audio-power chip.

Like this:
ept360010a9vregsubsm.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: doffo
The 6-digit serial numbers indicate a radio pre-Y2K. First digit is the last digit of the year. Makes this one sound like 1990. A glance at the MC145106 PLL chip inside will reveal a 4-digit date code that can narrow this down.

Older versions of the S042P transmit-mixer chip will also have a 4-digit "open" date code. Two digits for the year, followed by the week 01-52.

After Y2K the radio's serial number format changed to include a letter identifying the factory. "M" for Malaysia, "T" for Taiwan. Pretty sure the "first digit" or "first 2 digits" rule applies to those radios as well.

If it's old enough, the "EPT"-prefixed circuit-board number may in fact start with "SRT", followed by the four digits "3600" followed by "10A". This will be printed in copper foil on the solder side, usually right next to the TA72222 audio-power chip.

Like this:
ept360010a9vregsubsm.jpg

Thank you for the info.... Dan

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.