The long end of my 10-40 meter OCF antenna came down about 6 weeks ago and I’ve geared-up to rehang it. The long end is approx 75' AGL and attaches to a chain-link fence rail atop a cliff 40' or so behind bldg (5 story) so it requires a fair amount of planning to shoot some line over & pull the wire across.
My old install lasted almost 14 years before the poly line I used rotted away so this time I’m using cable to secure the dog bone to the fence rail.
I’ve been using AI to calculate wire lengths and encountered 2 mistakes in the AI calculations but by & large it’s been helpful and AI acknowledged each mistake when challenged. I did not realize velocity factor is affected by insulation (12awg solid). Anyway, USPS lost my 100' wire spool package for a few weeks but delivery scheduled for later today. This weekend I plan to hang it.
I ve been watching the ‘Whatever Happened to Ham Radio’ videos on YouTube and I’m seeing something similar with AI. The last time I regularly attended and paid dues at the local radio club w/my Dad was the early 1990's. Yeah, the web wrecked the clubs and now AI is challenging the Group format but we all have perfect SWR. I’m not sure it’s good or bad but I feel the ground shifting under my feet and it makes me uncomfortable.
neil, NYC
My old install lasted almost 14 years before the poly line I used rotted away so this time I’m using cable to secure the dog bone to the fence rail.
I’ve been using AI to calculate wire lengths and encountered 2 mistakes in the AI calculations but by & large it’s been helpful and AI acknowledged each mistake when challenged. I did not realize velocity factor is affected by insulation (12awg solid). Anyway, USPS lost my 100' wire spool package for a few weeks but delivery scheduled for later today. This weekend I plan to hang it.
I ve been watching the ‘Whatever Happened to Ham Radio’ videos on YouTube and I’m seeing something similar with AI. The last time I regularly attended and paid dues at the local radio club w/my Dad was the early 1990's. Yeah, the web wrecked the clubs and now AI is challenging the Group format but we all have perfect SWR. I’m not sure it’s good or bad but I feel the ground shifting under my feet and it makes me uncomfortable.
neil, NYC