• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

It's been a very active tropical season already.

Mid-afternoon yesterday it poured so hard the roof gutters wouldn't handle the water and overflowed. That lasted about five minutes then the sun came out again. Holy hell is it humid today. Temps calling for 89 with a humidex index of 104. That might not seem like much to a lot of you guys in the south and southwest but the humidity is what is a killer for us here. You can sit in the backyard and work up a sweat just blinking.

Man lives in near-desert more easily than in near-swamp. The exception appears to be a coastal plain with steady breeze. (The Gulf Stream moderates the Atlantic side of Florida nicely. You can have the rest)

Places like Louisiana are killer. “Being sold down the River”, meant being sent south to the harshest work & conditions pre-1865. Still the most dangerous place in the USA (state murder rate) given the grandsires too surly or violent for elsewhere.

Water is like gold. But too much is too much.

Ideal humidity is considered 40%. Will take several days to dry a humidity-soaked house (inoperable HVAC repaired). I use a dehumidifier almost daily where I live. Takes quite a burden off of the AC unit. The combination makes for dry cool air. Not clammy (where one still struggles to be comfortable despite “correct” temperature).

The 0300-0900 hours of the summer are when it’s useful.

Reactions: 357magnum
I keep the house at an even 70 degrees. With the central A/C the air is much dryer than outside and it feels quite nice. Stepping outside today is like being hit in the face with a 2x4.
Same 2x4 here but i swear mine is pressure treated hahaha!
Im lucky, my radio corner is in our temp controlled storage shed. We just bought a new LG dual inverter 18000 btu window unit and it works great. I still sweat just not as bad.
15971649631115937925819801806229.jpg

I installed a 3.5 ton capacity heat pump about eight years ago to both heat and cool the house. It has a large compressor unit outside of course and an air handler unit in the basement. It is tied into my heat ducts that were used with the old oil/wood furnaces so I have good distribution throughout the entire house without those damn units hanging on the walls. There is a condensate pump in the bottom of the air handler unit that gets rid of the water as it condenses off the heat exchanger. This just gets pumped out whenever the float trips and discharges thru a small hose to outside.This makes it both cooler and dryer in the house.

Reactions: 357magnum and Tokin
I installed a 3.5 ton capacity heat pump about eight years ago to both heat and cool the house. It has a large compressor unit outside of course and an air handler unit in the basement. It is tied into my heat ducts that were used with the old oil/wood furnaces so I have good distribution throughout the entire house without those damn units hanging on the walls. There is a condensate pump in the bottom of the air handler unit that gets rid of the water as it condenses off the heat exchanger. This just gets pumped out whenever the float trips and discharges thru a small hose to outside.This makes it both cooler and dryer in the house.
Dry as a popcorn fart in here lol. Almost nosebleed territory hahaha.
15971663779641148596934737207740.jpg

only airco here is in the car.
75% moist in the air,time is 20.05 now and still 31 C here ( or 88 F)
Was 95 F here midday.
Just a fan running whipping the hot air around....
We just never got so many heatwaves to get an airco, damned if i go buying one now, i'll just take it on the chin ;)
( or take an unnecessary drive in the cool car)

Last edited:
a couple years ago, parts of Fl were hit by the same hurricane twice.
Yeah kinda did, the west coast was grazed and the panhandle took one for the team.
The eye of irma passed just to my east, like 40 miles east and it was windy but tolerable. It was a cat 1 by that time.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.