• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

It's been a very active tropical season already.

Yessir. With bells on.

I moved away from Corpus Christi.

I lived on North Beach back in the 1980' s. Corpus was a fun city when I was there. There were some rather depressed areas just off the sea wall on the corpus side of the bridge and I could rent an older 3 bedroom house there for $300 a month. Used to hit loaves n fishes mission near the school for the blind for food on the regular. It was there standing in line for food I learned to roll my own cigs. I bummed a smoke and was tossed a bag of tobacco and some papers. I wasn't about to ask him to roll It too. I think I was 17 or so at the time. Just a kid with a wandering foot. It was always a long ass walk back across the bridge to North Beach.

When its hot outside, you just have to plan on sweating. Drink plenty of water and know when to take a break. I don't know how to describe it, but when your head starts to get fuzzy its time to take a break. Its kind of aggravating when the sweat gets in my eyes. Or drips on the inside of my glasses. Usually I will go inside every half hour and take a 10 minuet nap in the AC to dry out a little. Heat stroke is no joke, make sure someone is always near by and call 911 if you have to.

Good adviise, i'll stick to that, we have this hot weather till thursday, so a few days more before the thunderstorms come rolling in ending this heatwave.
Can't wait for it to pass....

They have been promising thunderstorms pretty much every day for the last three weeks. All it ever did was absolutely pour for about five minutes then clear. All that did was bring the humidity up even more as you could see the steam rise off the pavement after it stopped. :(

They have been promising thunderstorms pretty much every day for the last three weeks. All it ever did was absolutely pour for about five minutes then clear. All that did was bring the humidity up even more as you could see the steam rise off the pavement after it stopped. :(
Its daily storm season for central florida and wind direction dictates timing and sometimes intensity. The last few days there hasnt been a wind direction and with a flat wind the storms stay stationary rise and fall which produces outflow boundaries that fire off new storms randomly. They also tend to produce lots of violent lightning for extended periods of time. Id rather have a defined line that moves thru and its done for a while.
My how i love Florida weather hahaha.
Skip was strong this morning on am and 38lsb. Old wally gator making the trip across the gulf. It has since faded as we get closer to storm hour here.

When its hot outside, you just have to plan on sweating. Drink plenty of water and know when to take a break. I don't know how to describe it, but when your head starts to get fuzzy its time to take a break. Its kind of aggravating when the sweat gets in my eyes. Or drips on the inside of my glasses. Usually I will go inside every half hour and take a 10 minuet nap in the AC to dry out a little. Heat stroke is no joke, make sure someone is always near by and call 911 if you have to.

Having grown up in such, one learns to start outdoor work before daybreak and cease not so many hours into the morning. 1100 in North Texas at latest (shade) just before ambient hits 98F.

Lived in South Texas awhile. The above didn’t work. Never got as hot, but the mornings were brutal with humidity (No rain unlike central Florida at same latitude). Was advised to wait until near dusk. 1.5-hrs prior. Use electric lights as necessary.

One cannot get roofing or attic work done by others at that season.

Heat kills more than all other natural causes combined. Chronic Exposure.
Guys with outdoor work careers don’t live as long. Acclimation & genetics aren’t enough prophylaxis.

In the oilfield where we’d be out of the truck for an hour at a drilling rig it was:

1). 16-oz water before arrival.
2). Same during delivery.
3). Same once back in truck and departing.

This minimum worked. More was easy once the above was never shorted. (Always two flats bottled water in truck).

Rigs west of IH35 would see 130F daytime ambient. (115F official).

After no longer needing FR clothing, I made the switch to 5.11 brand. Same type socks & underwear. Wears like iron. Cold wash. Far better in heat plus rain-resistant. I prefer it year-round (larger size in winter to accommodate same material base layers).

Cotton ain’t your friend. Synthetic-blend is light years away from the torture of the disco years.

I don’t even use cotton for bed sheets or towels any more. At home or on the road. (Few items left). Laundry is far easier (dryer times, mainly). Packing for travel or closet space is much, much easier. Laundry bag far lighter.

Footwear is the biggest challenge. I use some KEEN sandals that are like running shoes almost year-round. Washable. Otherwise, Navy-spec hot weather (steel toe) rough-out boots.

Advances in military & LEO gear (all types) since Desert Storm is great to borrow as models. 5.11 has online dealers plus retail locations (Tac-Lite Pro pants).

Last edited:
Mid-afternoon yesterday it poured so hard the roof gutters wouldn't handle the water and overflowed. That lasted about five minutes then the sun came out again. Holy hell is it humid today. Temps calling for 89 with a humidex index of 104. That might not seem like much to a lot of you guys in the south and southwest but the humidity is what is a killer for us here. You can sit in the backyard and work up a sweat just blinking.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.