• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

IT'S FUNNY HOW THINGS WORK OUT SOMETIMES

unit_399

EL CAPO
Jun 17, 2008
ALEJANDRIA, COLOMBIA SA
It's funny how things work out sometimes. I ran across a friend who knew of a ham operator who was moving and selling his antenna setup. I ended up buying an 18 meter tower, rotor, coax, Hy Gain antenna, et al. The ham intro'd me to a guy who owns/operates a company that builds and services communication towers. I hired the guy, Daniel, to erect the tower on our farm. When we met, and he saw my shop, he told me that he's a CBer too, and his home base station is a Cobra 148GTL. Turns out that there are lot of CBers here and they use 27.445. I never talk much on the uppers, so I had no idea. As we worked together these past 2 weeks, we talked a lot and have become very good friends. He's a licensed amatuer, and introduced me to another friend, Roberto, who's a VE. Roberto arranged for me to take the amatuer exam this past weekend, which I passed, and when the paperwork is finished I'll get my license.

We ran into a few hiccups when putting up the tower which slowed things down a bit. The local guy who welded up the tower guy wire anchors for us did a half-assed job, and a weld broke. We almost lost the tower, but the concrete base and the tower were both strong and it didn't come down. Then last Wednesday was Colombian Independence Day ( and my Birthday ) so we just shut down until this coming Monday. We're going to replace the guy wire anchors because we just don't trust the welds on the ones we have now. Daniel was freaked out, but I told him to relax and just be happy that he wasn't on top of the tower when the weld broke.
So my antenna is taking more time then we planned. But, I've made several good friends, got my amatuer license, and the whole country celebrated my birthday last Wednesday. :LOL: :LOL::LOL:.

TTower.png

Last edited:

Jeff -
Ditto.
I 'm looking forward to talking with as many of our forum members as I can. I've been off-the-air for almost 10 years, and I'm so ready to hit it again. I've bought every thing I needed for my station, and when the antenna system came up for sale, it sealed the deal. If no more hiccups, I'll be on the air next week. Crossing my fingers.

My radio is full of people here stateside calling Unit 399 columbia
WOW! When we got everthing on the antenna finished, we hooked up my 139xlr to see how the receive sounded. We could hear a lot of stations on 27.385, but there was so much static that it covered them up. I turned off the LED lights in my shop. The static disappeared and we could hear stations loud and clear. I called CQ-DX, and 250 ROADRUNNER, Central Tennessee came back. We talked for several minutes and signed off. I could hear other stations calling me, but we shut down because we needed to finish things up before it got dark. It was amazing that we could dx the US on just a my barefoot 5 watt radio. Antenna is AMAZING!!
Over the next few days, I'll get my station completely put together , and I'll FINALLY be back on- the-air.

tdone.png

tdone1.png

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.