1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

It's so beautiful.....

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Antennas' started by Mudfoot, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Sr. Member

IMG_20191103_153954093.jpg Well it's up. Just have to Connect and fish feedline and rotor cable. Should be on air in an hour.

End up using my Dewalt cordless impact wrench to screw the lag bolts into the Oak rafters. Very solid installation. Everything plumbed up nicely. The tripod pitch pads are a must. I'm confident that there will be no leaks. I have another tripod that will go on the other end of the house. Haven't figured out what will go on it, but it'll be up and ready. Presently, the quad is fed with 7' of Times LMR-240. This short stub line will barrel up to 100' of Shireen LMR-400 flex. Once it fed to my shack, I'll probably cut off 20' of slack.

No measurements yet, but I'm suspecting I'll see the entire band under 1:3.1, as it was 15' off the ground.

This tripod, I think, is a good bang for my $. I would have preferred a Glenn Martin Engineering, roof mounted tower, but those are $$$. One day, I might mig me something like that.

I can get my eyeballs right up underside this install and inspect it easily. The only thing that I would ever do with a tripod like this, is replace the rivets with stainless bolts. If this system was any heavier, I would have done that.

2. oldtymer

oldtymer Well-Known Member

As Hannibal Smith used to say-"I love it when a plan comes together"

binrat and Mudfoot like this.
  3. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Sr. Member

I pulled a gut muscle, but it was worth it. Gonna drink a few beers and relax and see how many repeaters I can get into. I'm gonna leave the ladder up for a week or so. I can change the polarity fairly easy.

Slowmover likes this.
  4. unit_399

unit_399 EL CAPO

Congrats ... Very nice install.

Mudfoot likes this.
  5. RT431

RT431 In the swamp

Nice! (y)

Mudfoot likes this.
  6. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Sr. Member

My analyzer shows highest SWR around 144.000. Rest of the band is less than 1:3.1. My 991A shows spots that are 1:7.1. I think I trust my analyzer over the radios bridge.

Anyway, it's working like a champ so far.

Woody-202, SIX-SHOOTER and Slowmover like this.
  7. w9cll

w9cll W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

Nice install

Mudfoot likes this.
  8. Blackcat630

Blackcat630 Sr. Member

Hopefully you can here all your locals on simplex and maybe work some new far away machines...
    To bad we're going into winter.. It would be fun for some good summer time tropo.

Mudfoot likes this.
  9. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Sr. Member

I'm able to work both repeaters in Athens, Ohio. All I could do before was kerchunk it. Now I'm able to work my old buddies down there. So far, I'm getting into all the Columbus machines. Very satisfied so far. I'm not a big repeater guy, but it's nice to talk to old friends. I'm waiting for all the old dudes to get on simplex at 10pm tonight. Pretty confident I'll be able to hear them. Sure beats having my friend relay for me.

10. Beetle

Beetle Sr. Member

1.3:1 is a good ratio; "1:3.1", not so much.

kopcicle and Mudfoot like this.
  11. Slowmover

Slowmover Sr. Member

Have enjoyed this mini-saga. As I’m new, the emotional aspect has real appeal.

What’s the Winter Wonderland lighting scheme looking like now that this can be integrated?

12. fogdog

fogdog Well-Known Member

It's a thing of Beauty. Good luck and may the DX Gods be kind to you. (y)

13. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Sr. Member

Thought about putting a green laser on it.

14. OldTech03

OldTech03 Sr. Member

So I'm just a bit south of Indianapolis but about 200 miles west of you.

Mudfoot likes this.
  15. SIX-SHOOTER

SIX-SHOOTER Sr. Member

I don't trust any built in SWR meter on any transceiver including my ICOM 7600.I always have an external meter such as one of my three Autek WM-1 meters inline.I'd rather be safe than sorry.On VHF & UHF I use a DAIWA CN-103L or my MFJ Grandmaster MFJ-874.

SIX-SHOOTER

Mudfoot likes this.