• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Its time to get out of radio

This is why I stick with vintage stuff. Tubes are king. But also a clean Grant XL, 148, FT101E, etc. I have played with newer Chinese stuff and it's always moved along within days.
I have had three different versions of the FT-101 & they were always breaking & needing some repairs.I almost gave the last two away to a friend so I was not bothered with them ever again.I sure don't miss them even a little bit.I'll stick with my ICOM 7600,ICOM 746,ICOM 7000 for the HF/6 meters bands & my DAK MK X for the CB when I need one there.

SIX-SHOOTER
W4KVW

Reactions: S&W357
I have had three different versions of the FT-101 & they were always breaking & needing some repairs.I almost gave the last two away to a friend so I was not bothered with them ever again.I sure don't miss them even a little bit.I'll stick with my ICOM 7600,ICOM 746,ICOM 7000 for the HF/6 meters bands & my DAK MK X for the CB when I need one there.

SIX-SHOOTER
W4KVW
That's strange. I have had probably 40 different 101s. From the original right up to the F. And not once did I have one give a problem. I have even had ones that were killed on 11 meter by typical AM wattmeter junkies and they still worked good once new finals were in. I guess everyone has good and bad memories of particular radios. I agree that today an Icom 7300 746 etc are turn key and go but they won't be working or repairable 40 years from now. Not that it matters because most of us will be dead.

That's strange. I have had probably 40 different 101s. From the original right up to the F. And not once did I have one give a problem. I have even had ones that were killed on 11 meter by typical AM wattmeter junkies and they still worked good once new finals were in. I guess everyone has good and bad memories of particular radios. I agree that today an Icom 7300 746 etc are turn key and go but they won't be working or repairable 40 years from now. Not that it matters because most of us will be dead.
I had a B and a E and they both served me well for many years.
Yes you had to tune every time you changed bands, and before I got the E with matching frequency counter you had to guess a bit, but for a basic HF rig I enjoyed mine for years.
With the AM filter and set down to a 20 watt dead key, it was a fantastic AM rig.
The B still had Toshiba Green Stripe tubes in it.
I recently gave both of them to my brother.
I made a lot of memories with my 101's.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.