You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
Just about any JC Penney CB radio is built off of the cybernet PLL02a Chassis and is capable of many extra channels.
Those channels won't fall into bands that match the export radios, but you will get a lot of good channels.
Do some looking around for PLL02A mods.
Personally I usually install two toggle switches and perform the following jumps:
1. Cut the trace going to pin 9 of the PLL and install a 3.3k resistor across the cut
2. Cut the trace going to pin 10 of the PLL and install a 3.3k resistor across the cut
3. Solder a wire to pin 10 of the PLL before the resistor
4. Solder the other end of this wire to one of your toggle switches
5. Solder a wire from PC board ground to the other side of the same toggle switch
6. Solder a wire to pin 9 of the PLL before the resistor
7. Solder this wire to the other toggle switch
8. Solder a wire to the other side of the resistor from the cut on pin 10.
9. Solder the other end of this wire to the other side of the same toggle switch.
Now with those two switches in place, you will be able to turn 1 on and get from 27.435 to 27.705
the other switch will get you 26.435 to around 26.705
Both switches on will get you another band of low channels running from around 26.6xx all the way up into the normal 40 cb channels... You'll even pick up channels 3A and 7A with both switches on.
Of course you'll have to tweak the VCO and broadband the radio to be able to use all of those channels, but that is easy to do on that chassis of radio.
the old Cybernet units are nice radios and have really good receivers.. I probably have a half dozen or so including an uncommon Midland base station in kitchen appliance white. I use the same mod on all of them.
If you're interested, I can pull the one out of my pickup and see what I ended up doing to put in a 10kc switch.. I wanted to be able to jump to 26.775 where some of the locals hang out.
If you decide you want to mod your radio let me know and I will help you all I can.
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.