• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

JGAR - SON OF A GUNN (VERTICAL) ANTENNA

I have seen one...a local has one. It looked well built, but I couldn't see it closely (was on the tower, but lowered down). It seems to perform well for him, but I'm not sure it will outperform the I-10K. In principle, I would think a 5/8 wave antenna would have better angle of radiation than 3/4. One thing I seem to recall is that the JoGunn wasn't isolated from the mast like the I-10K is, which I don't like. I seem to remember that the entire antenna was aluminum, attached right to the mast. On the I-10K, the base part that attaches to the mast is thick fiberglass to isolate it.

hmm would think a 3/4 wave would have lower angle of take off then a 5/8 mayb im wrong. but this is why im asking about it.looks realnice.i know jay says his 5/8 has a 8 degree angle of take off were most 5/8have or cliam around 15 degrees. so just wondering looks like an interesting antenna.

well aside from not knowing anyone and never having seen
jo gunns 7/8 wave antenna..

it is actually supposed to be a .625 wave antenna (thig highest wave lenght one should-can go)..
otherwise the various nulls interact with each other poorly (well at not least optimumly)..

it would seem a 7/8 wave likly would do considerbly better then a 1/4 and perhaps half wave antenna..

more then that...if you scroll down to Jay's I-10K section..
i am sure he will be happy to properly explain it for you..

myself i know in how the I-10K is built (extremly STRONG)..
as well as how it performs (being 3 miles outside ground zero mahatten...i have yet to get any contacts past all of europe throughout all of south america and throughout most of africa including south africa as well as new zealand,taiwan and australar)......
even without any kind of skip i easily talk 75 miles out locally (except on skip night where noise level is too high and instead i talk all over the world..lol)..

all i use is my Icom 706MKIIG with a Icom SM-20 desk power mike and Jay's good ole Interceptor I-10K
( i used to use a A-99 i i also did well with it....but do extremly well with my I-10K)

Hope this helps

Later

i have used a son of a gunn for 3 or 4 years now. it replaced an a-99 which it was noticably better than. never had a problem with it.

i have it only about 30' to the bottom of the antenna. i noticed a good increase in my recieve and it seemed to pick up less static from the air. not sure if my transmit increased all that much or not. that was a long time ago. keep in mind that is a very large antenna and may not be right for everyone. i would like to try one of their smaller omni directional antennas that go both vert. and horz. good luck.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.