• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Jo-Gunn 5 or 6 Star

Well here are my models for the Jo Gunn Star 6 that is not to specs. I don't have any measurements, but I made some assumptions for what I've seen and think about JG's beam ideas. I figure they stick more to a traditional idea for a balanced distribution across their boom, using a typically shorter boom. Maco does the opposite using what looks like optimizing ideas, with more boom length and more variable spacing schemes across their boom.

So I more or less, guessed at the Jo Gunn dimensions, and I optimized it using the same balanced design, using their published boom length of 25' feet compared to Maco's boom length at 30.5' feet in length.

This alone should yield some gain advantage for the Maco. The advantage noted here is the JG models work out with more than twice the rejection noted, and that surprised me. I also discovered that I started the JG models at 27.805 mhz by mistake, but because I was optimizing this one...I stayed with it instead of doing all that work over again. This JG could change some if I redid it using more accurate dimensions.

I also did a recap on these 4 models. I also added free space patterns to each model.

1. is the JG Star6 optimize to the best antenna I could get at 27.805 mhz and staying within 25' of boom length.
2. was the same antenna as in model #1, with a feed line added to the model to check for feed line effects and skewing of the pattern, if any.
3. is the Maco 106c set to the specifications at 27.205 mhz as noted in the new Maco manual.
4. is my Marconi design for a 6 element with a 26.3' boom to see if I could get a shorter boom to show gains similar to the Maco 106c at 30.5' feet.

View attachment Maco6 vs JoGunn6 vs. Marconi6.pdf

You really have to compare similar antennas to see who's design is best. Comparing a 6 element that has a boom almost twice as long as a Shooting Star is not fair. As you note, the Jo Gunn is constructed well with heavy duty parts but I've seen two Lazer 400's hold up to every storm that's hit the East Coast in 30 years.

That's absolutely correct. I would like to know where the OP got his information and what he's basing it on without an almost side-by-side comparison. In either case I just ordered a Jo Gunn JG 5+5 Cross.

Ok guys thanks for the info. I was just looking to compair different antennas. I'm well aware of all the hype.

The opinions may all be right on the money GT, but in answer to your specific question regardless of why you ask, I have studied the JoGunn so I could model it and the dimensions for that are even more detailed than the antenna itself in the hands of a new owner...where you only have to be close, can make some educated guesses, and then tune to get the matching results you want so this bugger will work as intended. This in spite of all the soothsayers around proclaiming their woes.

I ask for dimensions often and it is like pulling teeth out of a T Rex, because very few guys have ever even seen some of these antenna they talk about all the time, much less have one close enough to get any dependable dimension that would be useful for a guy like you that is trying to test and compare.

Tiger, you are in a world of your own now...with lots of on-lookers, just standing by casting comments, and have no proof of work or results to support what they claim. And if they did then they would produce something that is even close to what you requested. That said, I don't ascribe to the meanderings of some ridiculous advertising tripe either...I just choose to ignore the ad words.

Here is a 6 x 6 Star with some dimensions that were provided to me by a good friend in this area just recently. I think they are pretty accurate, because I use to talk to him with 5 watts about 70 miles south of Houston near Freeport Texas, just about any time we wanted.

I hope you don't get disenchanted at my critical words above and continue in your efforts to experiment with something you desire to do. I also hope these measurements work out for you. Don't let any body spoil your ideas.

You won't get measurements from JoGunn or their manual. They build their kits "Fixed" as to design and construction and getting such info is difficult at best.

Jo Gunn 6 Star.jpg

View attachment Jo Gunn 6 Star Manual.pdf

Last edited:
you sure know alot for never owning one

For years I have heard repeated JoGunn's BS, but I never paid it no mind, just like I am not persuaded by anybodies advertising.

I never trusted their hype. That is why some years ago I bought an I-10K just to see what all the high gain hype was all about. More recently I did the same with the Gain Master, and a few others. I saw differences, but they were never like I heard suggested by others.

Shockwave, I don't think it comes as a surprise to you, but all advertising pushes the envelope in the puffing category.

A while back I modeled the basic design (absent the true dimensions) for the Son of a Gunn, and I find what you suggest, albeit is not quite as bad as you describe...as only radiating to the birds.

I wouldn't buy any JoGunn antenna however, just for the reasons you note. Mainly because they do not divulge any real information about their products, even to their own customers...excepting as you note just more BS.

I have modeled my sketchy ideas for several of their designs and after comparing what I find to some of their competitions models, I find them always lacking in some small ways...and for sure they are not equal to the hype they spew to the public.

After all this time of comparing antenna responses at my location, I still am convinced that my Starduster antenna is just about as good as any that I've ever had up. Even after more than a year comparing it to my Gain Master, I find very little difference in the scheme of things, and my Starduster is lower at the tip by about 6 feet.

There is nothing special about JoGunn antennas.

My 6+6 Star out performs my old moonraker and shooting star by far and I don't have to worry or maintenance it all the time. the audio reports also speak for themselves.

Reactions: Marconi
I would expect a 6 ele beam to work a little better than a 4 ele beam.
As for the Claim of Audio Gain, lets just say we have been down that road before.
The last guy here that claimed that was going to get all of us some test results from some unknown government guy that had some still unknown device that could measure the audio gain...now..about two years( maybe 3?) later, and we are all still waiting.

In my entire life playing radio, I have never seen the
Awesome
Huge
Incredible
Gains that people claim when switching antennas.
As close as I could ever get was when I replaced my half wave antenna with a 14 element yagi.
I did see some signal gain.....but no Audio Gain

Jeff

Pay less attention to what 99% of CB antenna manufactures claim about their beams and zoom in on the most important performance aspect that has no variable or way of manipulating it's number to look better. The boom length is what matters more than anything when you talk about gain or improvements.

Reactions: 2 people
I would expect a 6 ele beam to work a little better than a 4 ele beam.
As for the Claim of Audio Gain, lets just say we have been down that road before.
The last guy here that claimed that was going to get all of us some test results from some unknown government guy that had some still unknown device that could measure the audio gain...now..about two years( maybe 3?) later, and we are all still waiting.

In my entire life playing radio, I have never seen the
Awesome
Huge
Incredible
Gains that people claim when switching antennas.
As close as I could ever get was when I replaced my half wave antenna with a 14 element yagi.
I did see some signal gain.....but no Audio Gain

Jeff

Hey Jeff, can we accuse you of watching signals only and not paying much if any attention to the audio...of course JG antennas have audio gain.:LOL:

Reactions: AudioShockwav
You know I've heard a lot and read a lot of difference stuff about different antenna's how this is junk and this is better, what this does what that does, but it all boils down to what you like and what you can afford. Some like this Some like that but it's actually what you think and like that counts. buying a pre made antenna is great fine and easy, but there is no better feeling than building your own from scratch not to mention what you learn about your own equipment and the knowledge of whats there. Spec's are spec's and their fine, me, If I can hear'em and they can hear me that's what it's all about. ZERO 926

Reactions: Marconi
I like Jo-Gunn's if you can afford them. I have never in my life seen a better built set of beams for CB or Amateur use on HF. They are pricey though!

On the design do keep in mind they have conventional dsigns as well not just the one design everyone likes to hate on. I dare say that one design the star design is not even their best seller.

When discussing circular polarity everything bad about it can also be a plus depending on how your looking at it.

If I had a nickle for ever set of non-Jo-Gunn beams I have seen shattered and twisted by fairly mild weather I could eat a foot-long from subway every day of my life for lunch for the next 40 years. I have never seen a properly mounted set of Jo-Gun beams taken down by weather that did not destroy the remaining area as well they just are built strong and when assembled properly are durable. When loading is an issue and the weight of ice and snow are issues they tend to survive when other's do not.

I have not seen any antenna maker that does not lie or selectively interpret data to make their gain figures seem better than the rest. Until recently the big 4 played fast and lose with tow rating for their trucks and for along time you had multiple engine HP/Torque rating systems etc.....marketers like to play fast and lose with number's and engineers work hard to come up with legal and creative means to comply unless told they can not. Ford had to reduce their tow rating figure but Toyota got to increase their numbers because their system was more conservative.

There is nothing stopping Maco and other's from building much stronger, stiffer, more durable designs.

Reactions: SMILEX2692002
There is nothing stopping Maco and other's from building much stronger, stiffer, more durable designs.
Well said.

I could only imagine if Maco/Sirio did build their antennas for stronger and extra durable designs that they would cost much more. Most would not buy them. They would ridicule like most have with Jo Gunn.

I've always said looking at gain figures for antennas published by the manufacturer is a waste of time.
They want you to buy their antenna, so they will tell you anything you want to hear.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated