• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

John Boy Tube Amplifiers??

Tennesee walker amplifier

I have owned many amplifiers over the years and as far as 11 meter band is concerned the Tennesee Walker is great ! It is constructed like most older cb amps like maco . All hard wired . Yes the blower is noisy ! But you just set it a lttle farther away from your mic. If they used better cabnets the price would go up ! I used a two tube 4cx250b amp built by tennesee walker for several years ! when it developed a problem i sent it back to them in Memphas Tn with a new set of eimac tubes and They repaired it and set it back in just a couple of days ! A friend has it now and It still works great to this day ! Sure its not built to ham specs ! But hell its cb who cares ! Also who cares that they made their own chokes inside round on a wooden dowel ! Or that the diodes are mounted on plexie glass ! Or like most cb amps to much plate voltage on the tubes ! To most cber's the main thing is that they work and put out lots of power . Just tune it once and thats it ! you dont have to retune it every time you use it . I wouldnt pay the price they want for a new one but you can find them used for decent prices .

John boy

I have a John boy I paid 800$ for and have been real happy with it says it does 1900 watts on a new dosa test center. I got rid of 6 other boxes due to this one out doing them and they cost a lot more then this one I have

I came across a site that claims the John Boy Tube Amps are the best quality tube Amps, I'm curious as to what anyone can tell me about these amps as I have never heard of them before period.

The pictures here I'm going to post are of the John Boy Tube Amp for the Mobile it says and has 3CX3000 Mobile tube Amp for $4500.00.

Someone please educate me on this particular box as I have no clue.

As always thanks in advance,

Cotton mouth/Darrin.
Iike them

I came across a site that claims the John Boy Tube Amps are the best quality tube Amps, I'm curious as to what anyone can tell me about these amps as I have never heard of them before period.

The pictures here I'm going to post are of the John Boy Tube Amp for the Mobile it says and has 3CX3000 Mobile tube Amp for $4500.00.

Someone please educate me on this particular box as I have no clue.

As always thanks in advance,

Cotton mouth/Darrin.
Iike them amp 427

I loved my Tennessee Walker. Only took like 4 watts dead key to get over 3,200 and not even break a sweat. Plug in the wall 220v 4 4cx250R's....i paid 1,500 for it like 10 years ago. Ran it for 4 years. I think i had to replace the RF choke once. Sold it on ebay for 1,800 i think. Great box. Well respected builder from the early days of 11 meter Steel. I have never heard anyone talk shit about his boxes.. But then again I havent seen dirtywhiteboys name on any boxes...

Attachments

• 100_1696.JPG
    100_1696.JPG
    423.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 100_1699.JPG
    100_1699.JPG
    601.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 100_1700.JPG
    100_1700.JPG
    595.9 KB · Views: 45
I have a single 250b and it works. The wiring under the RF deck is sloppy. There were some sharp edges left inside the chimney that were causing an arc from screen to ground... sitting idle you'd hear a random arc now and then. The components hanging in mid air kind of blow. I've had to replace a couple of caps because the legs broke off. Don't know if it was vibration from the blower or just the box being moved around over the years. Wouldn't happen with short lead length and properly mounted components.

There is no glitch protection. Had a tube failure that welded the contacts for the power switch and burned up the plate choke before I pulled the plug out of the wall. I'll take some blame for this one because I never looked to see what size fuse was on the mains. The previous owner had a 25 amp in there.

The tank circuit needs some work. It tunes up with the tune knob mostly open and the load closed 3/4 or better. The blower is noisy could stand to be bigger. Considering how hard people run these things there could be more air flow.

There is also some kind of parasitic or line noise coming from the amp. There's always a little ripple on the carrier. Maybe some dried out caps on the PS or maybe something else. I don't know yet.

Not bashing the builder but just what I've seen form the 1 I have. If I could do it over again I'd have waited for a pride dx300. You won't see an amp with my name on it either but I don't have a problem admitting I bought a lemon. A lot of guys will lower their standards to justify the money they spent.

On the pin for screen, there should be a 10-15k resistor from that pin to ground. At all times. I learned this the hard way when I built first tet using a 350a.

Its all about asking for what you want. It's always the "dumb" buyer and the builder keeping it cheap. Know what ask of look for. Yes it will cost more but then you'll have more then a mudduck box.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.