• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Johnson messenger 4230

309hellinois

Oct 5, 2014
illinois
A coworker is giving me his old messenger 4230 with power Mic. I did some digging looking for schematics and owners manual but I haven't had much luck. Cbtricks was blank under the radio. :( I'd like to have reference material for it in case i need to do some work to get it operational. He said it worked fine when he put it up but it's been many moons ago. He also offered me the 80' rohn tower but I can't take it right now as we are getting ready to move. :cry:

Powerful and loud aren't my goal with this radio. I think it will be cool to have a functional radio on my desk that is as old as I am. Thanks for the info 399.

309hellinois -

I would like to add that this is not a run-of-the-mill CB. Most techs won't have a clue about alignment and/or repair. If the rig is in working condition, everyone and his uncle on this site will tell you that you should replace all of the electrolytic capacitors due to their age. I agree with this 100%. There are only 22 electrolytics and they shouldn't cost a lot. Ask around and I'm sure that others on this site can recommend a good tech that can align it correctly. It all depends on whether you want to spend the $$$. A lot of the parts for Johnson radios are no longer available, and finding a cross reference for the Johnson part numbers is usually pretty tough.

The bottom line is that this is a really high quality radio. If it's working, getting it lined out won't cost you a ton, and you will have a station that will get you compliments every time you key up.

If you would like a list of the electrolytics, their locations, and the alignment info, PM me your email and I will send it to you.

For sure, SNAG THAT TOWER !! If you can't use it, I'm certain there are plenty of guys on this forum that would like to have it.

Good luck, and 73s.

The price of a well-made tower took a rapid upward turn. Towards the moon, around 20 or so years ago. If you have room to store it, there's investment value there. Prices will never go down on tower sections.

If you let it go, and later decide to put one up, you'll regret it.

The price of a well-made tower took a rapid upward turn. Towards the moon, around 20 or so years ago. If you have room to store it, there's investment value there. Prices will never go down on tower sections.

If you let it go, and later decide to put one up, you'll regret it.

I was talking to him today and asked how rusty it was. That's when he told me it is galvanized and I changed my mind. Now we are planning for a break in the weather to take it down. He has the guy wires and all. It will sit in storage until we move south and buy a house.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.