• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

johnson transceiver tester question

1iwilly

Dec 7, 2008
hello to all i was given this gem by a user who use to be a cber m main use would be the monitor your audio and the 1khz tone audio gen and the signal generator
I'm guessing i would need to find a crystal for let's say channel 20 ??? anyone here ever uses20221110_163037.jpg one and is it worth keeping

The crystal socket is provided so that you could test a crystal I believe. Not sure what reading you may see on the meter though??
Curious that the "mode switch" lists a "Sig Gen/Crystal" position??? Could be that if you are attempting to align a radio with a certain I.F. frequency, you could use a crystal that is cut to the I.F. and output a signal to the unit under test.

I have never used one of these. Probably worth keeping for nostalgic reasons. (That is what I tell the Wife anyways)

David

The crystal socket is provided so that you could test a crystal I believe. Not sure what reading you may see on the meter though??
Curious that the "mode switch" lists a "Sig Gen/Crystal" position??? Could be that if you are attempting to align a radio with a certain I.F. frequency, you could use a crystal that is cut to the I.F. and output a signal to the unit under test.

I have never used one of these. Probably worth keeping for nostalgic reasons. (That is what I tell the Wife anyways)

David
Anymore I just tell my wife that with all the talk of shortages I may not be able to find another one like it again. Better grab it, or in this case keep it because it could be a survivability measure down the road.

Just watch the movie Book of Eli with her.

Reactions: walterjn
the crystal socket is for the signal generator, i use mine as a tone generator, the instruction manual is online just have to google it,,, and i have 2 of them been handy for so manymany years,,,

Reactions: Holydvr
That was one of the first meters I used in the field. The meter movement went bad early on with mine, and I understand that’s a common problem with these. Fortunately Johnson sold me a replacement. Nowadays I’m sure I’ll need a parts example if it needs another one. Realizing it’s not made for accuracy, I still like mine for general use. You will need the telescopic antenna if you want to use the field strength portion. Any transmit crystal typically found in an old school walkie talkie will work. The 9 volt battery inside probably needs replacing. With mine, I replaced the “Push to Calibrate” button with a toggle switch. That made it much easier to calibrate because the push button required two hands to operate.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.