• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Johnson "White Face" and rare attachment?

Hi,

I just recently got this on ebaY:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSAA:US:11&Item=5837663605

and I was wondering if any of you could give me some information or history on this radio. Is it a Johnson "Whiteface"? What years were these made? Is the attachment a factory option? I was wondering if anyone could tell me where I can buy crystals for this radio, I have heard of Jans Crystals , But I cannot find any information on the internet. I need a website or phone number for them if anyone knows what it is. Does anyone know where I can get schematics for this radio? I do not have the radio yet, But any information you guys could give me is greatly appreciated. I would also like to know how the microphone is wired to the radio, Is it a phono plug? Please help me and thanks.

Larry T.

That is a cool old tube radio, I like the old "Glow in the Dark" radios :D
On the Johnson Viking Messenger I
the mike wires directly to the radio, you should see the cord go thru a hole in the bottom, right were the case and face plate meet. From there it is hard wired to a stand-off in the radio.
5 channels, 2 crystals/channel one for TX and one for RX.
The Johnson Tone-Alert is a add-on tone encoder/decoder from the late 50's or 60's.
What channels are you looking for as far as crystals?
I might have some left in storage.
Let me know.

Jeff

AudioShockwav said:
5 channels, 2 crystals/channel one for TX and one for RX.
The Johnson Tone-Alert is a add-on tone encoder/decoder from the late 50's or 60's.
What channels are you looking for as far as crystals?
I might have some left in storage.
Let me know.

Jeff

I would like Channel 1,9,13,19 and 23 I need both the transmit and the receive crystals. Please let me know if you have those crystals that fit the Johnson. How much? I have no clue what the crystals are worth. What exactly is the purpose of the Tone-Alert? is it for business? What exactly does it do?

Thanks,

The Tone Alert is like a PL, or tone encoder on more modern radios.
When in use, there have to be 2 radios using them, you both set the squelch on the radios, and when you transmit, it sends out a tone that will break the squelch on the other radio.
The frequency determining element
inside is a resonant reed relay, much like the Motorola tone system that used vibrasenders/vibrasponders.
I think Kens Electronics used to stock manuals for these, or you might find one on E-Bay.
As for the crystals, let me get to some stuff sunday, and I will go have a look, I know I had some, not sure if they made the last move with me.
Cost? If I find them, what ever it costs to send them to ya....sounds fair to me.
Get it ,and make sure it is going to work. I would Give all the contols a shot of tuner cleaner, have a look at the caps in the bottom of the radio, if they are the OEM paper caps, and have any "crusty looking stuff" around the ends, I would replace them before I power it up. The best way would be use a Variac, bring it up slow and look/smell for smoke.
Jeff

AudioShockwav said:
The Tone Alert is like a PL, or tone encoder on more modern radios.
When in use, there have to be 2 radios using them, you both set the squelch on the radios, and when you transmit, it sends out a tone that will break the squelch on the other radio.
The frequency determining element
inside is a resonant reed relay, much like the Motorola tone system that used vibrasenders/vibrasponders.

Does this mean that my radio is a 10M rig or used in the older business bands? Is it CB like the SEL. CALL on my old Teaberry Stalker IX export?

AudioShockwav said:
As for the crystals, let me get to some stuff sunday, and I will go have a look, I know I had some, not sure if they made the last move with me.
Cost? If I find them, what ever it costs to send them to ya....sounds fair to me.

Sounds great! Thank you so much.

AudioShockwav said:
The best way would be use a Variac, bring it up slow and look/smell for smoke.

Yup! Evertime! My friend has one we use on the older tube sets.

I enjoyed talking some good DX to Georgia and the Carolina's tonight from Connecticut on my Courier 23 by e.c.i with my Courier ML-100 in line. :)

Thanks for all your help,

Found the Jun...spare parts box I was looking for ;)
Not as much there as i remembered, but I do have a few, there might be enough to ...hang on...
CH 9
CH 11
CH 13
CH 14
CH 21
CH 22
Thats about it for Tx/Rx sets, and just a few odd ones ..couple for a sonar i think.

Jeff

broncoman529 said:
Hi,

I just recently got this on ebaY:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSAA:US:11&Item=5837663605

and I was wondering if any of you could give me some information or history on this radio. Is it a Johnson "Whiteface"? What years were these made? Is the attachment a factory option? I was wondering if anyone could tell me where I can buy crystals for this radio, I have heard of Jans Crystals , But I cannot find any information on the internet. I need a website or phone number for them if anyone knows what it is. Does anyone know where I can get schematics for this radio? I do not have the radio yet, But any information you guys could give me is greatly appreciated. I would also like to know how the microphone is wired to the radio, Is it a phono plug? Please help me and thanks.

Larry T.

I still have a sales receipt for a Whiteface Johnson I bought in 1967 for $129! :D

broncoman529 said:
C W Morse said:
I still have a sales receipt for a Whiteface Johnson I bought in 1967 for $129! :D

Very cool, Hopefully you still have the radio.

Speaking of the date, Does anyone know how to tell exactly what year the Johnson is made? is there a date code on the chassis somewhere?

Sadly, the radio is long gone. :roll: They were fun in their day.
Couldn't leave the thing on in the car for long, either! :shock: My, how times have changed! :D

CWM

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.