• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Judge throws out case against ham (not FCC related directly)

C W Morse

Apr 3, 2005
Retired
FLORIDA JUDGE THROWS OUT CASE AGAINST HAM

A County Court judge in Florida has dismissed a case against Joseph Osborn, KF4HXE, of Plantation, Florida, whose radio gear was confiscated by police under Florida's "scanner" law earlier this year. Osborn was involved in a minor accident on May 8, 1997, and subsequently cited by police in Davie, Florida, allegedly for breaking state law by having radios in his car capable of receiving police frequencies. Although the law specifically exempts hams, Davie Police impounded Osborn's equipment anyway because he could not produce his ham ticket -- lost during a recent move. Even after Osborn showed Davie Police a copy of his license, authorities refused to drop the charges or to return his radios. Osborn later learned that police might have tampered with his equipment, possibly damaging it and voiding warranties.

Alexander L. Kaplan, KF4QBU, of Boca Raton -- an ARRL Volunteer Counsel -- represented Osborn. John Hennessee, N1KB, of the ARRL Regulatory Information Branch, supplied information on federal pre-emption.

Broward County Court Judge J. Steven Shutter ordered the case dismissed late last month. Shutter said the state law does not require hams to have their licenses in their possession, as local police had asserted. The judge also cited federal pre-emption of prosecution of hams under state and local laws that make it illegal to possess scanning radios capable of receiving public safety or emergency frequencies. Florida's law bans such scanners in vehicles and in retail stores, but not in homes.

Shutter ordered Davie police to return Osborn's radio equipment within ten days of his ruling and to provide an affidavit specifying "who, what, when, where and how the radios were examined and what was done to them." Osborn has since recovered his radios from the Davie Police but not the required affidavit. Kaplan said this week that he's considering filing a contempt order. He also says he's begun civil proceedings against the Town of Davie. Meanwhile, an independent repair shop is evaluating Osborn's equipment to see if it was damaged.

All I can say is NaNa Boo Boo to Mr Bubba cop! :D :p

CWM

Re: Judge throws out case against ham (not FCC related direc

if it were recent I would be more concerned but that case is ten years old, I think the police have gained knowledge by now.

C W Morse said:
FLORIDA JUDGE THROWS OUT CASE AGAINST HAM

A County Court judge in Florida has dismissed a case against Joseph Osborn, KF4HXE, of Plantation, Florida, whose radio gear was confiscated by police under Florida's "scanner" law earlier this year. Osborn was involved in a minor accident on May 8, 1997, and subsequently cited by police in Davie, Florida, allegedly for breaking state law by having radios in his car capable of receiving police frequencies. Although the law specifically exempts hams, Davie Police impounded Osborn's equipment anyway because he could not produce his ham ticket -- lost during a recent move. Even after Osborn showed Davie Police a copy of his license, authorities refused to drop the charges or to return his radios. Osborn later learned that police might have tampered with his equipment, possibly damaging it and voiding warranties.

Alexander L. Kaplan, KF4QBU, of Boca Raton -- an ARRL Volunteer Counsel -- represented Osborn. John Hennessee, N1KB, of the ARRL Regulatory Information Branch, supplied information on federal pre-emption.

Broward County Court Judge J. Steven Shutter ordered the case dismissed late last month. Shutter said the state law does not require hams to have their licenses in their possession, as local police had asserted. The judge also cited federal pre-emption of prosecution of hams under state and local laws that make it illegal to possess scanning radios capable of receiving public safety or emergency frequencies. Florida's law bans such scanners in vehicles and in retail stores, but not in homes.

Shutter ordered Davie police to return Osborn's radio equipment within ten days of his ruling and to provide an affidavit specifying "who, what, when, where and how the radios were examined and what was done to them." Osborn has since recovered his radios from the Davie Police but not the required affidavit. Kaplan said this week that he's considering filing a contempt order. He also says he's begun civil proceedings against the Town of Davie. Meanwhile, an independent repair shop is evaluating Osborn's equipment to see if it was damaged.

All I can say is NaNa Boo Boo to Mr Bubba cop! :D :p

CWM

Are you sure it's "10 years old"? It was first reported on QRZ last year and I believe, quoted from a recent Florida newspaper article.

CWM

Re: Judge throws out case against ham (not FCC related direc

C W Morse said:
Osborn was involved in a minor accident on May 8, 1997, and subsequently cited by police in Davie, Florida, allegedly for breaking state law by having radios in his car capable of receiving police frequencies.

C W Morse said:
Are you sure it's "10 years old"? It was first reported on QRZ last year and I believe, quoted from a recent Florida newspaper article.

CWM

your post shows the date in the article

Maybe im wrong?

Well, the article is confusing, then, because it says (quote)
"A County Court judge in Florida has dismissed a case against Joseph Osborn, KF4HXE, of Plantation, Florida, whose radio gear was confiscated by police under Florida's "scanner" law earlier this year." (unquote)

So when was the case opened? Nineteen ninety seven, or were the radios confiscated just this year? That's why I am a bit confused. I DO remember that the article was published on QRZ last year. Was there ONE case resulting from the 1997 incident, or was there TWO separate incidents?
I can't tell. :D If it was ONE incident from 1997, WHY were the radios confiscated this year? And why did it take so long to resolve the case?

CWM

C W Morse said:
I DO remember that the article was published on QRZ last year.

And why did it take so long to resolve the case?

CWM

Stop getting your news from QRZ.

And, since your so intimate with the FCC, you should be used to that by now.

There is a current issue at hand... - "Cellular Telephone" Bills Pose Potential Problems for Ham Radio Operation"

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2007/02/13/103/?nc=1

that involves the use of Ham radios in vehicles. There are some states with pending legislation that do not show any exemption for Amateur operators to be allowed mobile use of radios. CB radios would also be included. Here is an example-

n Georgia, House Bill 5 (HB 5) would assess those anyone found to be "driving while distracted" while using a wireless communication device one driver's license infraction point. The bill defines "device" to cover not only cellular or mobile telephones -- whether or not they're hands-free, but any "wireless communication device, personal digital assistant, radio or citizens band radio."

Same thing is going on here in Oregon. Also, the problem is already addressed under the "Inattentive Driving" statutes.

I wish these people would get a life and quit trying to control ours.

Rich

it is all part of the plan.

HOA bans your base antenna's
States ban your use in vehicles

you are forced by the evil empire to buy Vista, which NSA has been including their own code in.

Big brother got you by the testiculars.

We are weak, we will just roll over and take it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.