• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

just got my tech call sign in

mbkirkpatrick

Nov 4, 2011
Hello everyone!

Just wanted to say my call sign just showed up in the database and im looking forward to hitting the nets on 2 meters and the 440.

Currently I am Studying up for my General and hope to test soon. Im not quite sure if I see the need for getting my Extra for a while, buy, Ill take it a day at a time and see what happens.

I am currently operating a Yaesu 1900 and a used Alinco 570 dual bander, both mobile. I am hoping to upgrade to a newer dual band for both vehicles, I was thinking about a pair of Icom 280's but haven't made my mind up yet.

Hf is in the works but I see no point in getting a rig until I get my general ticket. I am an apartment dweller so that my cause a few antenna problems but ill take care of that when the time comes

Like I said just wanted to say Hi to everyone.

KF5NKV

Congratulations!

Here is something to consider when you take your General Test.

Once you pass the General Test, you can take the Extra test at no additional cost.

When you are scoring over 90% consistently on the online practice tests for the General, take a few practice tests for the Extra.

You may be pleasantly suprised come test day and you walk out with an Exrtra License in your pocket. :D

Congrats and I hope you're having fun!

Hf is in the works but I see no point in getting a rig until I get my general ticket.

Remember, as a Tech, you still have access to the bottom portion of 10 meters, where much of the SSB activity is. 10m has been going gangbusters lately, so there is a lot of fun to be had. You can even buy a cheap 10m radio to get you by until you decide what you really want out of HF.

Regardless, there is a lot of fun to be had with VHF/UHF and 6M. Enjoy!

Grats on getting your ticket !!

I would have to say go for your general class ...cant go wrong by doing so..

And 10 has been hopping the past couple of weeks in the Tech portion of the band

Congrats on passing from a new tech here. Ive already been egging the wife on about taking the general with me. How do you like your 1900? Apt dweller here, so lots of limitations on that spectrum.
KD0PWN

The 1900 is a solid radio...I have heard only good on those little rigs.....

Just because you live in an apartment doesnt mean you cant set up in your place.

I know an old man that uses an old set of TV rabbit ears ( you know the ones that would sit on top of the TV? ) and he rigged the coax to the rabbit ears and tuned it by sliding the antenna in or out of itself. He runs about 10 to 25 watts max output and does great from his apartment

Hey guys, Thanks for the kind words! I spent the day yesterday studying for my general exam and I think its coming to me just a little quicker now that I have a general foundation of radio concept and theory. Ive been having a lot of fun on the local VHF/UHF nets and have made many new friends.

Congrats on passing from a new tech here. Ive already been egging the wife on about taking the general with me. How do you like your 1900? Apt dweller here, so lots of limitations on that spectrum.
KD0PWN

I really like it, the menu is a little smarter than i am but Im getting it a little more day by day, and the cw trainer ROCKS!

KF5NKV

hi
congrats on your new hobby as well.
awesome that you are studying for the general exam as well
same with me i hopes to give it a shot in january.

well good luck and thanks for your kinds words to:D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.