• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

just got my ticket and looking for a good starter ht

joespunn23

Jul 27, 2010
central new jersey
Good morning everyone i recieved my tech ticket back in March and have yet to get a radio i have been looking though. I am on a buget so dont have that much cash to spend but i have been looking at the TYT,Puxing,Wouxun,Baofeng,quansheng what i was wondering is which would be the better radio for some one just starting out also which is the easyest to program , and use well any info will be gratly apprecated thank you joe haas kd2aag

The Wouxun KG-UVD1P is well liked.

Be sure to get an SMA adapter, as well as SO239/PL259 adapter so you can use standard HT antennas, as well as base/mobile antennas.
What he said.
Dual-band, 5W, 128 channels, and cheap. 1/3 the price of any Japanese radio. I have three, and love them.

If you want a real cutie, look at the Baofeng UV3R. Tiny. Feature packed, and only $50. out of Hong Kong. Heck, get 'em both!

Good morning everyone i recieved my tech ticket back in March and have yet to get a radio i have been looking though. I am on a buget so dont have that much cash to spend but i have been looking at the TYT,Puxing,Wouxun,Baofeng,quansheng what i was wondering is which would be the better radio for some one just starting out also which is the easyest to program , and use well any info will be gratly apprecated thank you joe haas kd2aag

I'll stand behind the Wouxun HT as well, I've been using one for just about a year now and think its a great HT for the money spent...

Sure there are other "better" HT's out there.. With a heftier price tag on them... I have the KG-UV2D, I really have no complaints. Other than the reverse SMA connector on the radio.. I would strongly suggest an adapter or two so you can use other antenna's... The remote mic also improves your audio as well as added convenience of being able to basically leave the radio in a cup holder attached to an external antenna for mobile use in a vehicle... I have gotten no complaints about the audio from the HT itself, but the external mic does improve your audio to the point of people may just think you went out and bought a new radio (y)

I can hit both the repeaters I frequent with the stock rubber duck from about 30 miles away (average). That's both 2 meter and 70cm... However I'm in Illinois (flat land country lol) and your mileage may vary...

If you have any questions regarding this HT, please feel free to ask (y)

Welcome to the hobby, you can go as small as you want with this, or as big as your wallet will allow there is room for all.. Enjoy, and most importantly HAVE FUN

I have a Wouxon KG-UV1D that I absolutely love! Go read Moleculo's very excellent evaluation of it in the Product Review section:

http://www.worldwidedx.com/product-reviews/61919-wouxun-kg-uvd1p-review.html

If you stumble across any of my responses understand I love this little HT more than I can explain! I wasn't criticizing - just speculating. There is almost no difference between the 1D and 2D. I understand the 3D is almost the same as well. Be careful which variation you pick because the frequency ranges are different. Remember these are Chinese "business band" radios with some "interesting" features. If you need help choosing the variation just ask and lots of people here will offer probably the same suggestion.

I had mine out for a business trip yesterday along I-64 in southern Indiana. In the mid-morning using a magnet mount Nagoya 15" dual band antenna I was able to easily hit and use repeaters thirty and forty miles away. For 5 watts that ain't bad. Around home here in Louisville I can hit almost any local repeater from anywhere in town with just the included "rubber ducky".

By all means DO get the proper SMA female to SO239 adapter so you can use common antennas and coax with PL259 connectors. I have some adapters from Wouxon Hong Kong and Wouxon US that do not fit correctly though, so you might want to shop around. I think it's a translation problem from the Chinese metric machining to what we need in western threads. I ordered some mainstream US brand ones from an on-line supplier and they should be in today, so I'll post the result.

I think the Radio Shack SMA female to SO239 CABLE adapter is a good choice and I've been messing with one. Fits perfectly both ends. Takes a lot of strain off the radio's antenna socket. Seems to perform excellent - it's what I was using yesterday. I do not know if there's a lot of signal loss and maybe some of the pros out there can say. (I added a short piece of shrink-wrap tubing to the inside of each end of the cable because of a possible "shear point" at the metal connectors. Probably no need but I'm a retired engineer and I just HAVE to "improve" things!)

The 1400 mAh battery that came standard seems tireless. I have used it several times for 10 hours or more and the battery "gauge" never even drops. I've yet to need to use the 1700 mAh spare or a AA battery backup I got but the day might come.

I highly recommend it. Get it with a spare 1700 mAh battery, and by all means get the programming cable and program disk or you'll pull your hair out trying to program in repeaters! I agree that the combo mic/speaker is a great addition. The display face seems to scratch sort of easy so I'd advise some sort of leather case. All told you won't go over $200 and you'll have a lot of fun with an excellent rig that is not just for "beginners".

Last edited:
I have a Wouxon KG-UV1D that I absolutely love! Go read Moleculo's very excellent evaluation of it in the Product Review section:

http://www.worldwidedx.com/product-reviews/61919-wouxun-kg-uvd1p-review.html

If you stumble across any of my responses understand I love this little HT more than I can explain! I wasn't criticizing - just specualting. There is almost no difference between the 1D and 2D. I understand the 3D is almost the same as well. Be careful which variation you pick because the frequency ranges are different. Remember these are Chinese "business band" radios with some "intersting" features. If you need help choosing the variation just ask and lots of people here will offer probably the same suggestion.

I had mine out for a business trip yesterday along I-64 in southern Indiana. In the mid-morning using a magnet mount Nagoya 15" dual band antenna I was able to easily hit and use repeaters thirty and forty miles away. For 5 watts that ain't bad. Around home here in Louisville I can hit almost any local repeater from anywhere in town with just the included "rubber ducky".

By all means DO get the proper SMA female to SO239 adapter so you can use common antennas and coax with PL259 connectors. I have some adapters from Wouxon Hong Kong and Wouxon US that do not fit correctly though, so you might want to shop around. I think it's a translation problem from the Chinese metric machining to what we need in western threads. I ordered some mainstream US brand ones from an on-line supplier and they should be in today, so I'll post the result.

I think the Radio Shack SMA female to SO239 CABLE adapter is a good choice and I've been messing with one. Fits perfectly both ends. Takes a lot of strain off the radio's antenna socket. Seems to perform excellent - it's what I was using yesterday. I do not know if there's a lot of signal loss and maybe some of the pros out there can say. (I added a short piece of shrink-wrap tubing to the inside of each end of the cable because of a possible "shear point" at the metal connectors. Probably no need but I'm a retired engineer and I just HAVE to "improve" things!)

The 1400 mAh battery that came standard seems tireless. I have used it several times for 10 hours or more and the battery "gauge" never even drops. I've yet to need to use the 1700 mAh spare or a AA battery backup I got but the day might come.

I highly recommend it. Get it with a spare 1700 mAh battery, and by all means get the programming cable and program disk or you'll pull your hair out trying to program in repeaters! I agree that the combo mic/speaker is a great addition. The display face seems to scratch sort of easy so I'd advise some sort of leather case. All told you won't go over $200 and you'll have a lot of fun with an excellent rig that is not just for "beginners".
Could not agree more and nothing too much more to add. Yes, definitely get the matching "leather" case (vinyl actually). I have two of these critters and love them. When I ordered mine, I ordered the radio, an extra 1700mA battery, a speaker mic, the case, and the SMA-UHF adapter.

There are variants of the programming software, and I would recommend the one off the Wouxun US site. I also ordered "cloning cables" so I don't have to use a laptop to program new radios - I simply clone one to another.

You can get an entire "kit" as I have done for under $200. Cheaper if you order out of Honk Kong.

stay away from

radios that go out of band till you learn the freqs better...get a yeasue ft260 its easy to prpgram and works great.In my state Missouri,it take a mobile with a 5/8 antenna and at least 50 wts to hit a repeater 30 miles away...hehe 73s de n0zna

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.