1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Just ordered a compact cb for my small car.

Discussion in 'General CB Services Discussion' started by AmericanEagle575, Dec 4, 2018.

1. AmericanEagle575

AmericanEagle575 Active Member

Good eveing Radio folks, well i ended up getting a smaller car, 2012 hyandia elantra and i decided i wanted to put a cb in it, so i found a simple compact cb on ebay for 58.00 brand new, a uniden 520 xl pro and it comes with a tram 300 mag mount antenna included,i figured it was a good deal, i have had wilson antennas most of my life starting with the little wil ,wilson 500 and a wilson 1000 never had any problems,but i curious about the tram 300,i been told its like a wilson little wil,has any body ever used tram antennas, how are they compared to the wilson line, is the quality good,just curious?? Hope you all had a Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving

Rwb likes this.

2. Rwb

Rwb Well-Known Member

Uniden builds good radios,i have 1 like you got as a backup in my big truck.i use it now n then to keep it alivve.neeveer touched insside n gets out real good quiet recieve too.i think you will like it.
    I keep an extra in my truck as i load at a place where we use them to load cant be without for that reason

TheRATT likes this.
  3. Alan Blackmon

Alan Blackmon Member

I bought the 510 to put in my 97 F150. Wow it is sure small but it did perform like I wanted. Talking car to car over a few miles. It does talk well and received out to five miles with a Wilson 2000. That is the maximum I got to test it out to so far.

It did shock me when my meters reported it was putting out 2 watts. Oh well it did what I wanted it to and the only regret I have is I wished I had spent $10 more and got the XL-520.

Rwb and Shadetree Mechanic like this.
  4. TheRealPorkchop

TheRealPorkchop Certified Sith Pimp

Glad you got something you’re happy with!

The Stryker SR25MC is a nice little radio and I do mean little. I know it’s just a rebranded radio but it’s still a neat little toy.

Rwb and rabbiporkchop like this.
  5. Shockwave

Shockwave Sr. Member

If you want a small radio that packs some watts with lots of features and can install a 470 ohm resistor to fix the horrible AMC range as discussed in another thread, the Stryker SR-94HPC is a nice option.

#5 Shockwave, Dec 9, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  6. TheRealPorkchop

Yes that’s a nice option also.

Rwb likes this.
  7. M0GVZ

M0GVZ Sr. Member

If you want a compact CB you want to look at the Albrecht AE6110. Size of a pack of smokes. Not available for US market though.

Rwb likes this.
  8. kopcicle

kopcicle Sr. Member

The FM side is a bit useless here ...

Rwb likes this.
  9. Rwb

Rwb Well-Known Member

Anytone smart cb.noisy but itty bitty

TheRATT and Shadetree Mechanic like this.
  10. AmericanEagle575

Update: 12/18/18 Well I got the radio installed in my car and added a Cobra M75 power Mike,got it refurbished of Ebay for under 20 bucks,looks brand new. However I am not impressed with the tram 300 mag mount antenna and the range of it so to speak,so I ordered a brand new mag mount part for my Wilson 1000 and I am going to put the Wilson 1000 on my trunk as I imagine it will work better and get out further. I love the Wilson 1000 as I think it's one of the best antennas out there for the budget conscious cber. Have a great night and a upcoming Merry Christmas to all the Radio folks out there!

Rwb likes this.
  11. TheRealPorkchop

Ain’t that a baby antenna like a little Wil?

Rwb likes this.
  12. AmericanEagle575

Yes pork chop,I don't know about a baby antenna but basically u are correct in that .Its a little Wil in a offbrand in the form of a tram 300, nevertheless I wasn't to impressed as it came with the Uniden 520 as a package deal. Definitely a smaller antenna then I am used to running on my car. The radio is great but the antenna I wasn't impressed with in my opinion.

Rwb likes this.
  13. TheRealPorkchop

Yes, I meant a small antenna package, lack of better wording I guess. The older Lil’Will antennas seems to better than the newer ones. But my opinion is they’re too short for distance. I guess if I was gonna run a mag mount then I’d run a 1000.

Rwb likes this.
  14. AmericanEagle575

No problem, I kinda figured that is what you ment, yeah I have heard that the older Wilson's were better built than the new ones being produced today. I remember having the Wilson 500 back in the 90s and they were a well built antenna,kinda like a step up between the little wil and the 1000. Yeah for distance whether it's a am only cb or a am/ssb cb the Wilson 1000 mag mount is the way to go,and you can get replaceable parts to fix it if needed like I am doing.

Rwb likes this.
  15. TheRealPorkchop

Well I gotta plug my favorite, the Stryker SR10mm. That’d be my choice if I were gonna buy one, if I was gonna stay with Wilson then I’d go with a 1000.

Disclaimer : I am not paid to plug or shill Stryker antennas or other products. But I bet Shawn appreciates it. (Haha)

Rwb likes this.