• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

just ordered a vx-8r/antenna ???

Chatter

Oct 28, 2009
chambersburg pa
i wish i knew how to post links to make things easier, sorry.
i just made my purchase from gigaparts.com hope it gets here soon. ive been looking at the 2 meter quad antennas that cubex.com has, trying to figure out what would be best for my purpose. i plan on hiking alot with my set up so i need to find a tripod as well. cubex sells a phasing harness w/a cross arm for a second antenna to achieve more gain. by doing this will i get more gain or is the salesman throwing a pitch? the yellowjacket seems compact enough for hiking but where can i find a tripod to fit that would be compact while carrying yet 6-8 ft erect?

If you want quick assembly and take down, I would look at something that is designed to be truly portable and durable. The gain figures from Cubex are probably as accurate as possible, but I don't think that I would want to mess with a quad while hiking.

If you only want 2 meters (sounds reasonable enough), I would look at this antenna by Arrow: http://www.arrowantennas.com/146-4ii.html. It's a "backpack" breakdown 4 element yagi antenna. I have the Arrow satellite (2m/440) portable antenna and the workmanship is superb. The thing is super light-weight, but durable. And it's only $55, not including the mounting bracket.

Take a look at this thread where I show close-up pictures of the 2m/440 antenna:
http://www.worldwidedx.com/amateur-...handheld-2m-440-satellite-antenna-review.html

You could also use the 3 element version that comes with extra length on the boom for a cushioned grip for handheld use: http://www.arrowantennas.com/146-3ii.html. Under the grip is the mounting holes for a bracket if you want to mast mount it. You would get more gain with the 4 element, so you'll have to decide what is more important to you. Personally, I like the idea of being able to either hold the antenna or mount it. Or, you could spend a little extra money and get the 2m/440 antenna and work the satellites when you're at home.

These antennas assemble in minutes and are pre-tuned. They really are the perfect portable yagi.

For a mast, I think I would try to rig up a way to use a hiking stick or something like that. You could always guy it using some rope and tent pegs. I'm sure someone can come up with something creative for a portable mast that would work good for hiking.

i hate to sound like such a noob but does your 2m/440 satellite yagi work well for surface tx/rx?? and do they make the same antenna with 4 elements on 2meters along with the 7 for 440?

You don't sound like a noob at all...asking questions is one of the best ways to help make decisions about what to spend your hard earned money on.

The reason the Arrow II satellite antenna is "for satellites" is because you can hold it by hand and point it where you want while twisting the antenna in your hand to control the polarity. That doesn't mean you can't point it at repeaters and other terrestrial stations, though. For earth FM, most (all?) stations use vertical polarity. That means that you would just orient the antenna vertically and point it in the direction you want to talk.

I haven't seen a 4 element 2m/7 element 440 on their site, so I don't think they have one. Another antenna you can look at for a similar purpose is made by Elk Antennas. Personally, I like the way the Arrow antennas are built, though.

How far of a distance are you trying to communicate on 2m while hiking?

distance unknown at this point, ive never tried any of this before. as far as possible with as little power as needed. just wanna play around and see what i can do. i am interested in transmitting to NA1SS, im glad you brought this antenna to my attention.

Well, if you decide to get one of the Arrow antennas, let us know what you think about it. Take a camera with you when you set it up in the field and share some pics of whatever you decide on! Also, if you order from Arrow, make sure and let them know that you heard about their antennas from here. They were kind enough to put a link up to the forum on their webpage.

no i didnt, i couldnt find it when i placed the order. ill most likely kick myself in the @$$ later. i hear its $40 for the upgrade but its my first radio so sending it in and waiting a month or so to get it back isnt my cup of tea right now.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.