• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Just ordered the Sirio 2016. Good move or not?

Mother Nature!!! ‘A tornado leveled a house 2 blocks away and my antenna was fine!!!’And the opposite applies. Point being what force an antenna accurately sustains in most cases short of an extremely localized (like mounted to the mast) quality measuring instrument, is just a guess. Only remember 2 high wind storms coming through since mine has been up. Only thing I noticed is my guy wires loosened up a little. Eye bolts I used bent a little bit. My fault I used what I had on hand at the time. No idea what the wind speed was.

You didn't read very well. I just purchased my Sirio 2016 a month or so ago. I guess it's a pretty rock solid 2023 model. So far anyway.
Look....I get amused by this type of thing. If you don't like Sirio. Don't buy one. If you want one, buy one. If you want to try one, but let other peoples opinion steer you away. Well, there will be a lot of things that you'll never really know about. It's a freakin antenna.......it works very well. How long will it last? I don't know. But it's off to a really good start.
My bad. I missed your purchase date amongst the 5 others. Likewise you obviously didn't read my original post. "If you live in a still climate it's a great antenna but built with low quality parts..... and that's why they're so inexpensive! Buyer beware." My opinion... based on my experience. Is that not the point of a review? Should I review my bent Sirio based on your experience lol??? I also didn't say don't buy a Sirio. I said "I wouldn't buy another Sirio." Again my opinion based on my experience. You have to ask yourself what's the point of a review? What's the point of reviewing any product if a negative review should be discounted because someone else has had a positive one? There are plenty of "positive" experiences on this thread to offset mine. The average consumer weighs reviews and factors that into their buying decision....if they're diligent anyways.

If you don't like Sirio. Don't buy one.
Day late and a dollar short on that one...but that's neither here nor there. That being said....I also don't have a gripe with Sirio as a company or "all" of their antennas....just the two that I've had experience with. Your post would imply I'm impugning their reputation with no experience. My 2016 is also still up and in use...albeit sleeved.

How long will it last? I don't know.
Well that's the million dollar question is it not? Based on your climate and your particular antenna build you could get 20 years....or 6 months. So let's hear an honest answer. If your antenna ends up looking like mine did in 6 months....how would you review it? ;)

ell that's the million dollar question is it not? Based on your climate and your particular antenna build you could get 20 years....or 6 months. So let's hear an honest answer. If your antenna ends up looking like mine did in 6 months....how would you review it? ;)

I don't review anything. A proper review would consist of far more than a "it is a good antenna....it works great....it made it through severe weather a week ago".
However, these statements are true in my experience thus far. I've not owned the antenna very long. But, thus far, I am pleased with its performance. But to answer your question, it would probably go something like this....."my antenna bent, I had to repair it and this is how I did it........it's up and working great again".
I have many antennas and am often swapping them out for various reasons. Some have been great, some not so. I have a M2 5 element beam perched fairly high out back. Not an inexpensive antenna and not built with cheap materials either. But about 2 years ago I happened to look up and notice one of the elements was bent downward nearly at 45 degrees. These are not flimsy antennas. I still have no idea how that happened. I can only imagine a big turkey buzzard came in on a hard landing on that element. Still a mystery. The antenna isn't junk. It was easily repaired and we moved on.....still scratching my head over that one though. Things happen, things break, not everything is equal and very little is fair. The Sirio is not built like a tank. It doesn't cost tank money either. But it is a good performing antenna. I don't necessarily expect it to last 10-15-20 years. There are far too many variables. But I can tell you one thing. If I decide that this Sirio be a permanent fixture because I like it that much, if it breaks.....I'll fix it and move on. Each to their own and like everything else......experiences and opinions vary.
Whew!!!! That was a lot and I'm tired of typing now. :giggle:

Champo....it's all good. (y)

But about 2 years ago I happened to look up and notice one of the elements was bent downward nearly at 45 degrees. These are not flimsy antennas.
I agree, having played with a few of the M2 Antennas on VHF they are very solid and well built antennas.
The CVARC used a couple M2 yagi's on a repeater site up in the sierra to target a heard to reach area, and they had to be rugged.
I visited the manufacturer when I first got into playing SSB on VHF.
They do built nice stuff but in the end I decided stacking two 14 elements for less money was the way to go with my budget, and I had no bad weather to deal with at that time.
If that is the 11M5 you have it is a big antenna, surprised it bent a element.
Got any 20 lb turkeys flying around your place?
Wouldn't be the first turkey I seen sitting on a antenna.
Or turkey vultures.

Jeff

Reactions: Tired Rooster
I agree, having played with a few of the M2 Antennas on VHF they are very solid and well built antennas.
The CVARC used a couple M2 yagi's on a repeater site up in the sierra to target a heard to reach area, and they had to be rugged.
I visited the manufacturer when I first got into playing SSB on VHF.
They do built nice stuff but in the end I decided stacking two 14 elements for less money was the way to go with my budget, and I had no bad weather to deal with at that time.
If that is the 11M5 you have it is a big antenna, surprised it bent a element.
Got any 20 lb turkeys flying around your place?
Wouldn't be the first turkey I seen sitting on a antenna.
Or turkey vultures.

Jeff

I work a lot of 6 meters. I've always enjoyed the "magic band".
The beam that had a bent element is a M2 6M5XHP five element. It's not the only m2 that I have up at the moment, but it is the one that gets the most use. And yes, they really are good antennas. I have really enjoyed mine.
Take care and 73 (y)

I'm wondering if these guys with all the issues got ahold of some counterfeit Sirios. I don't know if anyone is making them, but it's a thought. There is no explanation as to why some of them can withstand HUGE, gusting winds while others pretzel up in mild storms.
they made so many and was using old stock til it ran out. now using the new one made out of cheap tubing

Reactions: Champo

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.