• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Just ordered the Sirio 2016. Good move or not?

In radio, propagation is everything. However, having a good antenna system, good coax being part of that antenna system, cannot be overstated. The SWR plot on my Sirio is very much like the one sp5it shared. This is the first Sirio that I have owned and thus far I am very pleased. It does very well on AM local in my area. But, I most enjoy working side band. This afternoon I worked SSB for about three hours. The 11 meter propagation was very good. I was able to work two stations in England on 36 and 37 LSB. And worked all across the country as well. It is a good antenna.
An old guy around here where I live, used to say you could talk around the world on 10 W, you just need a good antenna, really good coax, and when the propagation is correct, you can talk anywhere. I’m sure you’ve heard it 100 times and I heard it also but the antenna and the coax will work very well with a cheap radio also. I’m glad to see everybody having such good luck with the Sirio antenna.

Reactions: Tired Rooster
I know this thread started in January but I figure I'll throw out my experience with the Sirio 2016 for anyone that comes along. I installed mine in December....just before this thread was posted. The Sirio 2016 made it 4 months. The Sirio 2016 is a fantastic performer....BUT..... the aluminum that Sirio uses is absolute garbage. This was the second chance I gave Sirio after suffering a quality issue with the Sirio 27. The aluminum is so cheap that it will bend in the wind. The Sirio 2016 is even more susceptible to this because of the weight of the adjustable steel stinger. I'm in Southern Oregon and while we do get wind it is nowhere near where Sirio's max wind rating is. Take a look at these pictures and you'll see what I'm talking about. The aluminum was literally warped in the direction of the wind.... and not at the joint! If you live in a still climate it's a great antenna but built with low quality parts..... and that's why they're so inexpensive! Buyer beware.20230509_130728.jpg20230517_094754.jpg20230517_094900.jpg

Mine is made of 2017A, yours 6060/63
Hence my point. Your comment is misleading and irrelevant. The topic of the thread was on purchasing a "new" Sirio 2016. You know.... one made in the 21st century and not the 20th. Unless they possess a time machine they'll be buying mine ;)

2017A, 6060/63 is a kind of aluminium alloy :)
In "old, ancient ages" antennas were made of good quality aluminium alloy like 2017A
Now, when cut cost is everywhere they make antennas from shittyminium (6060)
Mike
.... and there's the problem with Sirio antenna's in a nutshell....and the point of my post. Like most things of yester year they were built better....but no longer. So you can't compare apples to oranges because they aren't the same animal. I ultimately sleeved mine to the next joint so it's still up and working but for a new product it shouldn't have to be done. We'll also see how long it survives.20230517_112704.jpg

.... and there's the problem with Sirio antenna's in a nutshell....and the point of my post. Like most things of yester year they were built better....but no longer. So you can't compare apples to oranges because they aren't the same animal. I ultimately sleeved mine to the next joint so it's still up and working but for a new product it shouldn't have to be done. We'll also see how long it survives.View attachment 64187
So you buy what is supposed to be a great antenna but you have to sleeve it? Am I missing something?

Reactions: Champo
My 2008 is only 2 years old and has come through more than one 70+ mph storm plus hail and ice storms. Still straight as an arrow. I even stepped out in the middle of a storm to check it and it was leaning nearly 90° but straightened right up after the wind subsided.
....and mine was less than 6 months old and couldn't survive conditions less than that. So the question for a new buyer is.... am I the outlier or are you? This is my second Sirio with problems in a 2 year time span. Another operator here in Southern Oregon had the same thing happen with his Vector 4000. If they didn't use garbage aluminum they would make fantastic antenna's. So....based on the build quality...I would avoid Sirio.

Reactions: frankie-b
I'm actually interested in the 2016 but I can also be witness to a bent sirio boomerang. 4 or 5 years ago I had one that the wind turned into a the St Louis arch and wasn't repairable. A different antenna than the 2016 but same issue. It was replaced by a workman t225 (same type) that went through worse wind storms and currently put away for emergency use.

I'm actually interested in the 2016 but I can also be witness to a bent sirio boomerang. 4 or 5 years ago I had one that the wind turned into a the St Louis arch and wasn't repairable. A different antenna than the 2016 but same issue. It was replaced by a workman t225 (same type) that went through worse wind storms and currently put away for emergency use.
Guess wind in Italy is minimal

Reactions: jrd426
....and mine was less than 6 months old and couldn't survive conditions less than that. So the question for a new buyer is.... am I the outlier or are you? This is my second Sirio with problems in a 2 year time span. Another operator here in Southern Oregon had the same thing happen with his Vector 4000. If they didn't use garbage aluminum they would make fantastic antenna's. So....based on the build quality...I would avoid Sirio.
My other video was deleted somehow. I did take some footage of the antenna at a 90° angle in the wind. Can't find it. But this one is at the end of an ice storm and if you look closely you'll see that the ground radials are thick with ice.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.