• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Just picked up a 12 tube phantom

dejaskysdad

May 21, 2013
I have just got a 12 tube d&a phanom works really good im seein 1000w out of it on am and almost 1500 on ssb but the one problem it has is the low side don't work when I switch to low the relay will click but no output power.. any ideas ? thanks

Not to open up a can of worms but....

..I've always been curious as to how it's possible to get that kind of power out on 120 V and with tubes rated for around 30 w dissipation.

Maybe you have a very happy meter?

As for the output problem, after you discharge the caps so the thing doesn't kill you, start looking for some disconnected wires around the power level switch.

Or, just send it Alan at www.tubesplus.com It will take him a while, but it will come back to you better than new.

Good luck

12 tube

My first question is how familiar are you with a mutimeter and high voltage power because that is what you are going to be dealing with when you take that cover off the Phantom to check what needs to be troubleshooted. If you donot know how to bleed power off capacitors stop right now and research it. I have had Phantoms that wiring has been changed so tubes have high votage to tops with power on without being keyed up like a Heathkit but this is not normal for a Phantom so please be careful you donot know what has been done to that amp so do nothing without a through check. Power on With switch on low setting and you key up 4tubes will have 700+volts on them and 8 should have 0volts on high keyed up all 12 tubes will have 700+ volts this will tell you relays working and power correct on top. I would check switch first I have had alot of these go bad on my Phantoms then trace it to relay. If you have someone in your area that has worked on tube amps before I suggest take it to them they are very dangerous for a experienced person more so for a novice. Careful Careful Careful

Of course the naysayers rain on the posters parade. The numbers you are seeing are about right for a 12 tuber. My old Phantom i had did 1200 on high into my meter...

OUCHHH!!!!! LOL just got nailed tried to jump switch ad keyed up and BZZZZZZ lol yea should have listened lol went and baught a volt meter man I felt it throught the pliers first and then through the d104..... any ways it was the switch it was somekind of old switch look like paper or cardboard layered together just installed a regular 110v on/off switch and works.. thanks..

Many people have been electrocuted with a grounded metal D-104 in one hand and the other hand doing exactly what it's not suppose to be doing in the wrong spot! My test bench was equipped with a plastic mic just to prevent this accident in case I got careless.

Glad you are still with us 1st and 2nd glad you found problem those switches are a problem in all the old amps I work on also antenna relays on them will need to cleaned every now and then you will notice it when after you key up radio receive muffled. Hope you enjoy your Phantom as much as I do all of mine. 165 From the Great Lakes.

OUCHHH!!!!! LOL just got nailed tried to jump switch ad keyed up and BZZZZZZ lol yea should have listened lol went and baught a volt meter man I felt it throught the pliers first and then through the d104..... any ways it was the switch it was somekind of old switch look like paper or cardboard layered together just installed a regular 110v on/off switch and works.. thanks..

By the way, the power level switches burn up on these amps because they actually use them to switch the B+ 700 volts on the tubes. There are no panel mounted switches rated for this voltage that would fit. The 110 volt switch is rated lower than the original 250 volt switch and more likely to fail. Never switch it under load (while keyed).

You may be able to find some switches rated at 660 volts but they are rare. Allied Electronics or eBay would be your best bet to find that type of switch and I think it would hold up well if you did.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.