• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Just picked up a Texas Star V mod plus, have a few questions

Turbo T

Certified CB Rambo
Feb 2, 2011
1. Is the variable knob on the front, for adjusting the RF output, or for adjusting how much input you send into the modulator?

2. The modulator has one 2290 pill IIRC...how many watts input should be used to drive it?

3. My understanding is these are a driver for larger amps, has anyone used one of these just to add a little kick to their output power? I understand they're only good for 75 w. tops but I had another guy tell me they're essentially an external swing kit for a butt load of modulation, hence the name "v-mod".

Thanks in advance.

class C, for AM only. leave the knob so output is wide open. it's supposed to be to adjust the drive to the bigger amp that follows it. adjust the radio til the mod v does what you need for the bigger amp. adjusting the knob downward MIGHT cause it to eventually burn out.
problem is....yes, the 2290 will give you a nice 15-20 watt dead key & 60-80 watts swing-MAYBE enough to get some fair numbers out of a dx1200. MAYBE. maybe not.
so the input power to the mod v should be whatever it requires to get it to dead key 15-20 watts, anywhere between 1-4 watts dead key from the radio could accomplish that.
my opinion is it will make a stock 4 watt cb sound ok if the radio isn't but chered...too much. has no use with any dual final radio, or most current exports. and it's too small to drive.....anything. except maybe a 4 pill AM box.

class C, for AM only. leave the knob so output is wide open. it's supposed to be to adjust the drive to the bigger amp that follows it. adjust the radio til the mod v does what you need for the bigger amp. adjusting the knob downward MIGHT cause it to eventually burn out.
problem is....yes, the 2290 will give you a nice 15-20 watt dead key & 60-80 watts swing-MAYBE enough to get some fair numbers out of a dx1200. MAYBE. maybe not.
so the input power to the mod v should be whatever it requires to get it to dead key 15-20 watts, anywhere between 1-4 watts dead key from the radio could accomplish that.
my opinion is it will make a stock 4 watt cb sound ok if the radio isn't but chered...too much. has no use with any dual final radio, or most current exports. and it's too small to drive.....anything. except maybe a 4 pill AM box.

Thanks. I've wondered if it would be good to use with my no name 4 pill amp with 4 SD1446's. (I currently drive the 4 pill with a 4 watt CB) I read you must convert one of the TS mod V plus' from CW to amp use. if you didn't do this would it not work at all?

Thanks. I've wondered if it would be good to use with my no name 4 pill amp with 4 SD1446's. (I currently drive the 4 pill with a 4 watt CB) I read you must convert one of the TS mod V plus' from CW to amp use. if you didn't do this would it not work at all?

Bone stock all Texas Star products are CW transmitters, (wink wink) most shops convert them as part of the sale. If this has not been done then when you get it it will not function as a linear amplifier.

As I recall 1-2 watts dead key and 20 watts or less PEP input should work. As stated class C no SSB delay and just run it with the variable wide open.

Its a 1 pill amp but commonly used to drive a very big tube linear, expect about 120 watts peak (not bad) Nowadays you can just get a high-powered radio that does 100-150w like a 2970, Stryker 490 & etc. Should stroke pretty good all by itself, i have a Palomar TX-50, 2w input, 20w swings 100w.

Its a 1 pill amp but commonly used to drive a very big tube linear, expect about 120 watts peak (not bad) Nowadays you can just get a high-powered radio that does 100-150w like a 2970, Stryker 490 & etc. Should stroke pretty good all by itself, i have a Palomar TX-50, 2w input, 20w swings 100w.

Really? 'Used to drive a REALLY big tube linear'?? wow. My really big tube linear needed a LOT more then a mod v to move it. Heck, the the driver used a driver....back in the day. A mod v aint even getting everything from a dx1600. & 120 watts peak from a single 2290? Nice, but i doubt it. More like 80.

Is this a NEW amp, or an old one? The cw transmitter is probably within the last 8 years or so. Older ones were plug & play.

You would have to drive the piss out of it and have a Dosey watt meter to see 120 watts. 70-90 honest watts is quite possible.

1. Is the variable knob on the front, for adjusting the RF output, or for adjusting how much input you send into the modulator?

2. The modulator has one 2290 pill IIRC...how many watts input should be used to drive it?

3. My understanding is these are a driver for larger amps, has anyone used one of these just to add a little kick to their output power? I understand they're only good for 75 w. tops but I had another guy tell me they're essentially an external swing kit for a butt load of modulation, hence the name "v-mod".

Thanks in advance.

facepalm.jpg

Last edited:
Oh my bad Psycho, I didn't realize it was a crime for the unknowing to ask questions regardless of how long they've been a member of a forum. Then again you don't see me here every day either.

Tough crowd, makes me want to never chime in anymore. If im wrong or off a bit, just correct me, im not a know-it-all. But dont quote me and make fun of me at the same time....GEEZ! If a Texas star Mod-V doesnt do over 100 watts with a good radio behind it, than something is wrong. I didnt know Dosey meters are garbage now,Byrd meters only huh? Like i said, im getting 100w out of a TX-50 with a 455 pill, 2w input at 14.5v. Very low TVI and good reports back too, i dont have a Dosey or Byrd, its a heavily modified Workman meter calibrated to a $200+ Dosey test center with my own RMS & peak reading on a switch mod, actually my meter is very accurate also. With that said, im sure thats another hot topic too, lol.

Like i said, im getting 100w out of a TX-50 with a 455 pill, 2w input at 14.5v.

Nice. I was never actually able to get 100 watts out of a 60 watt transistor with 22 volts. Always went up in flames long before the meter got anywhere near 100w. But that's just me i guess ;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.