• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Just worked northern Italy on 27USB!

Ranier1315

Dec 25, 2013
My first REAL DX with my Galaxy 95t2! I'm officially hooked! The propagation is rolling strong across the pond today. Good times.

There were intercontinental pileups galore yesterday. It was like navigating a barnyard full of poop from 300 head of cattle. Italy was booming in here in the ditch. Saskatchewan was in here in the afternoon and was able to get him. I have never heard him before so that was a nice contact though it was short. Tough here getting out to the west as my signal needs to shoot almost vertical to leave the "Ditch". Can't wait till the moxon is done. Found some more folks from Europe that are running 3-4 element Yagi's . Man, they rip thru the mud with only minimal watts.

Congrats on the DX!

Hobie 999 from comes in here on a regular basis I hear him with the top of my 99 missing , hope to get that fixed by the weekend .

Sent from my NB09 using Tapatalk

Hobie 999 from comes in here on a regular basis I hear him with the top of my 99 missing , hope to get that fixed by the weekend .

Sent from my NB09 using Tapatalk

Yup, triple 9 Manitoba. He shuts everything down here when he keys up. Haven't heard him in a while. The propagation has been strange here since the storm last week. I was listening to Texas early this morning which was weird. Europe always starts here before I hear anything out of the southwest.

Definitely want to get my ticket! I'm tired of trying to plow through the "mud" on 11 meters.

Sometimes you're in the mud even with a ticket. I heard a Kuwait station on 20 meters last night (9K2UU) and tried for about half an hour to get a call through to him, but I'm only running 150 watts and a wire antenna. All the big strappers walked all over me until he went QRT. :(

Not much I can do about it though, given that I live in an apartment building.

On the bright side, I did manage to work a guy on Gran Canaria (2nd most populated Canary Island) just a few KHz down the band from him, so the evening wasn't a total loss.

But back on the topic of 11 meters, keep an ear out for Giancarlo 1SD227 in Italy when the band is open. With that 7-over-7 stacked array he has, he's hard to miss. I've talked to him about a half dozen times now, last time he sounded like a local.

-Bill

Last edited:
Sometimes you're in the mud even with a ticket. I heard a Kuwait station on 20 meters last night (9K2UU) and tried for about half an hour to get a call through to him, but I'm only running 150 watts and a wire antenna.
Yes true but as a ham you can switch bands, if 20 is dead 40 might be open or 80 or even something above.

"China, Hong Kong, Mongolia, Malaysia , Japan, Azores, Guam, Russia" 10-12 meters I think a guy on here said he made these contacts on. How many people have a ham radio and speak English in Mongolia?????!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

I'm not positive but I think that English is the official "recognized" language for HAM communications. That certainly doesn't mean that everyone recognizes this but for the most part the official HAM guys will be speaking english.

I'm not positive but I think that English is the official "recognized" language for HAM communications. That certainly doesn't mean that everyone recognizes this but for the most part the official HAM guys will be speaking english.

There is no such thing as an official "recognized" language for HAM communications unless you consider CW and International Morse Code and use Q-codes which are standard. It's a simple fact that English is one of the most widely spoken languages in the world and most foreign countries teach English at some level. No matter where in the world you go if you look around and ask someone will speak English to you.

BTW English is the official language for civil aeronautical communications. It seems odd however to think of a Korean airlines pilot getting landing vectors for Berlin Germany with both him and ground ATC speaking English. :D

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.