• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

k40 or sirio p5000

I read about Barjan products of late about how they're not quality made. One of the things I look for on a product is it's robustness and that it will give many years of impeccable performance and that it looks good. It's just when I hear the word 'Barjan',I think of cheap Soddy stuff from people who don't care about their customers. Cutting costs for the sake of saving a buck?

Barjan out of business

Astatic 636L, DTB Radio's Online Catalog
A quote from some experienced advice on choosing mics.
"That mic (SRA-198)has a low output compared to other mics. It might work, but the Astatic 636 in my opinion would be better."
According to DTB Radio's web page on the Astatic 636L mic,it seems that Barjan has gone belly up.
Update:I just out that DAS owns the stuff and that Barjan went out of business a couple of years ago. Oh well

Last edited:
"That mic (SRA-198)has a low output compared to other mics. It might work, but the Astatic 636 in my opinion would be better."
According to DTB Radio's web page on the Astatic 636L mic,it seems that Barjan has gone belly up.
Update:I just out that DAS owns the stuff and that Barjan went out of business a couple of years ago. Oh well

I have spoken to D.A.S. several times about the issues with the Wilsons, And they seem to be a respectable company. Only time will tell.

I spoke with them several months back. I talked to the receptionist whom transferred me to "technical". Neither of them acted like they didn't even knew what they sold.

It was exasperating. I posted a thread on here about it.

And this matters because...?

So what are the issues with the new K40?

Just set up my car with a new K40 base load for my old trunk lip mount and am getting a great flat 1.1 - 1.2.

I do have the Sirio Performer 5000 on the way for my other vehicle but like the idea of the shorter antenna of the K40 hitting fewer obstacles.

Now that I have both....performance is the #1 reason. I hear and contact so much more with the Sirio Performer 5000 than the K40. I do like the size of the K40 and it's better than the Lil Wil but this just points back to the old adage that size does matter!

I got a brand new Wilson 5000 for wholesale and am presently trying it out.....I can't tell a performance difference between my old one and the newer one. They match in the same and they look the same so I don't understand the bad comments here unless quality control is hit or miss.
I don't praise or dismiss products unless I see it for myself, "I know someone who had one and said they suck" doesn't wash with me....show me the performance and quality issues.
The Sirio 5000 mag mount does outperform the Wilson 5000 by a small amount but not enough to justify a humongous top heavy attention grabbing antenna over a low profile antenna unless you need that extra quarter S-Unit.
I am going to box up my old Wilson and use the new one until something happens that I can report here. Seems uneventful in the week that it's been on my truck.
I would never use a K40 unless I plan to run less than 100 watts and need something just to listen in on.....I learned my lesson after my Gray 300 popped 2 MRF492 transistors when the coupling capacitor went bad.

I am glad to hear you have had no problems. Do you know under what name the Wilson was manufactured? there are three different company names that these antennas have been manufactured under.

The barjan made antennas are the one that have the history of failing, and or not working right out of the box.

As far as the sirio antennas go they are a very good antenna. As with any antenna the performance of these antennas will vary with the many different ways of installation. I was an avid Wilson user for over ten years and after using the sirio 5000 series for more than a year and a half I myself have seen a larger benifit of using this antenna over the Wilson. After buying a brand new barjan made 5000 Wilson and having the trouble with it as I did I will never again use a Wilson. This can be viewed on a thread I have posted here where I rebuilt it.

As far as the "attention grabbing aspect" All large cb abtennas are subject to this and connot be avoided. The wilson 5000 can be picked out just as easyily as the siro. I myself like the looks of the sirio antenna and find it is a breath of fresh air in antenna design as compared to what is domesticly made.

Have you personally made the "side by side" comparisin? How was it isntalled? what was the size of the ground plane?...etc. there is allot of information missing from your review.

The fact of it is there Are issues with the barjan made Wilsons and although "some' of them have had no issues, this would be the exception and not the rule. And having personally spoken to the new company ( D.A.S.)about these issues they too recognize the issues with it and had said that they were in the works of correcting said issues.

Good luck to you with it.

I am glad to hear you have had no problems. Do you know under what name the Wilson was manufactured? there are three different company names that these antennas have been manufactured under.

The barjan made antennas are the one that have the history of failing, and or not working right out of the box.

As far as the sirio antennas go they are a very good antenna. As with any antenna the performance of these antennas will vary with the many different ways of installation. I was an avid Wilson user for over ten years and after using the sirio 5000 series for more than a year and a half I myself have seen a larger benifit of using this antenna over the Wilson. After buying a brand new barjan made 5000 Wilson and having the trouble with it as I did I will never again use a Wilson. This can be viewed on a thread I have posted here where I rebuilt it.

As far as the "attention grabbing aspect" All large cb abtennas are subject to this and connot be avoided. The wilson 5000 can be picked out just as easyily as the siro. I myself like the looks of the sirio antenna and find it is a breath of fresh air in antenna design as compared to what is domesticly made.

Have you personally made the "side by side" comparisin? How was it isntalled? what was the size of the ground plane?...etc. there is allot of information missing from your review.

The fact of it is there Are issues with the barjan made Wilsons and although "some' of them have had no issues, this would be the exception and not the rule. And having personally spoken to the new company ( D.A.S.)about these issues they too recognize the issues with it and had said that they were in the works of correcting said issues.

Good luck to you with it.

My new one was made under the Barjan name. What specific problems did you have with yours?

I really don't want to start another thread on it so here is the link to the thread;

http://www.worldwidedx.com/cb-antennas/140362-wilson-5000-rebuild.html?highlight=wilson+5000+rebuild

And here;

http://www.worldwidedx.com/cb-anten...5000-coil-part-1-a.html?highlight=wilson+5000

and here;

http://www.worldwidedx.com/cb-anten...5000-coil-part-2-a.html?highlight=wilson+5000

There are more threads on the wilson vs. the sirio debate. A search on this site should give you more than adaquite info on this subject. This should be more than self explanatory as to why the Wilson 5000's are issue prone.

good luck to you.

73's

Last edited:
K40 not bad at all! I would use one!

Just a quick post to see what others have to say. To start off, I have pretty much always used a Wilson 1000 or 5000. A couple antenna gurus that I met back a few years ago did antenna modeling in several spects of the Wilson 1000 and 5000 vs. a lot of the other CB antennas that were out on the market at the time such as the big coil type antennas like the Predator 10k, monkey made, and a few others. It turned out for MANY reasons the Wilsons came back almost every time as better performers for most situations. I say *most* situations because I do realize there is NO perfect antenna for every situation.

With that said, recently, we came across a batch of K40 antennas and their respective magnet mounts N.O.S. (new old stock) and subsequently 4 vehicles that needed installs.

I'll skip a lot of the non-important details, but basically the mobile setups were running 2970dx n2 radios, and using the K40 antennas two magnetic mount, and two permanent mount.

Once getting them all set up on the MFJ 259B antenna analyzer, it was time to get the installs all neatly done and get everything wrapped up.

Over the next few days, we would hear the users of the antennas in our group on the air, and I must say, they work great. It seems the K40 has been picked on, and under-rated a lot. The results on paper (analyzer) and also real world results were a LOT better than expected.

I would recommend a K40 to anyone that is not running a huge amount of power. We will see how they physically hold up over time in the sun, heat, wet, cold, etc but so far so good!

I have the K40 base load 57 1/4? Magmount and the Sirio Performer PL5000. The Swr would go up when the K40 gets rained on,sleeted on,frozen rain. The 5000 has rubber gaskets and a self adhesive backing that goes on the 145 mag mount Sirio sells. No water whatsoever gets in the Sirio thus the SWR doesn't get crazy on you. The K40,well,you either have to let it dry out or use compressed air to dry it out. I am well pleased with my Sirio plus it looks good.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.