• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

KD8NPB/M

office888

Jun 8, 2009
Hartford, MI
1990 Honda CRX HF
225,000 miles
55 mpg

102" whip in a Hustler C31 ball, no spring
MFJ-1728B 5/8 wave 2m (1/4 wave 6m)

ju015.jpg

ju016.jpg

I plan to ditch the craptastic yellow fogs and replace them with some Hella 500 fog (flood-type) lights.

There's a 23ch SSB Midland in there right now with a Texas Ranger mic. Just a temporary setup, I barely use the damn thing because the receiver sucks. I plan to replace it with an FT857 or FT100. I'll remote mount the unit into the mid-cargo compartment, and drill some holes for venting. Also would wire up some 12VDC computer fans to a switch to cool it. That should help deter thieves, as I can just remove the faceplate.

Then, right at the base of the 102" whip ball, a small jumper of wire straight to an autotuner. This should give me 10 thru 40m easily. I plan to homebrew a large coil on a chunk of PVC or Delrin that I can screw between the whip and ball to add some more inductance for 75m.

I want to mount another Hustler ball on the opposite side, and put a Hustler CG144 colinear on it for 2m simplex.

Then, I can replace the MFJ with a proper NMO mounted UHF antenna. I'd offset it a little bit, because I want to NMO mount an antenna for 2.4 ghz as well.

For 2.4 ghz, I want to run a little Alfa 1w amp direct from my Toughbook. It's a debate of whether I want to buy a surplus docking station or not for it.

tough.jpg

Economy mods, I'd like to assemble a water-methanol injection setup so I can lean out the fuel mixture a bit. I want to do rear fender skirts as well.

Car cost me $500 to begin with, and has saved me more than that in fuel.

Nice plans...

Wish my XJ got gas mileage like that.

I'd like to see pics of your tuner install.

AC8EO

I'll post some as I get it together. It'll only be a couple inch jumper of wire from the tuner to the antenna itself.

It won't be as efficient as a screwdriver, but it'll be a lot more durable.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.