• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

kenrich eagle 515 info and help needed

liquidh8

Aug 7, 2011
Just inherited one of these amps. should be here at my garage/shack today. It is supposed to come with a "bunch" of spare tubes. I hit cb tricks and found nothing on this particular model.

I was wondering on the tuning procedures, drive input, and if I can run it on SSB. The person who owned it was the original owner, and claims he ran a modulator into and would get 800+ out of it. I pretty sure he was an am talker. He said he would get new tubes under warranty, even though the ones he had were fine, so there should be at least one spare set. I'll know today. I would like to run it after my Galaxy Saturn, that'll do about 40 watts with the new HRF20w finals.

Here are a few videos, I'll add some pictures too. There are a few issues with it it looks like.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1bAFeji9DyHZnRhaWx5aHd3SDg
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1bAFeji9DyHTXdKVlhRVjRnZEU

It has a cap popped by one of the finals, a little red kidney bean one.
A few of the electrolytics have already been replaced, i hope the are the right value
It needs a new fan, one was put in the back, but nothing is blowing across the finals.
It seems it has already been modded for cb/11m use.
There is a green wire running from the top of the PCB behind the relay, then looks as if it should go thru one of the grommeted holes, but it is snipped.
I wonder why? The other half may have been resoldered to a different point on the board.
There is no SSB delay, i would like to add this to talk on it.

Also, I have read about adding a modulator tube of sorts? Anyone know how to do this? The amp is nice looking, I got it for next to nothing, with spare tubes. So if I put a few bucks in it for some caps and a fan, i don't mind at all.

Pics to come soon.

Any have any information that they can give me?? Thank you all!

t5m3EvjSaskGNv_jRlcT_5GfTBZInA3leLv-5JVtlmUbLURbzlo7UguMp_hC-OO8fg142Kr6HOY

dqPhlesmb__hPrb8KQpy5S_4yYWKfjlOMQcBYCEPuqghdgS5TKvUQpO2pI3TV5Ve-fh1GwevUvo

dEQoIOibc0fTCf2635Caqr7VdP6xruXF7X3ylgl0O9wXHhwZXu0lncHf9SoutUuxaf2ZJxlcG2c

Wv7PnfbkGIJM38L5g9pgB8d40ZeQYiLAc2qo-HEjhM6nkhyUjjjt5rIoioXSjYrVe-nSNqOxsVI

axpemTl1AbIx6wenxFTQHTMd309qh_esHTkX4obAoEBNcBbAmI9yMP3Q3ljAxhPXaLsE7F18q4k

Well, I got all new silver mica caps for it, and a few of the electrolytics. Blew it out with some air, turned it on and let it warm up for an hour. Ran my HR2510 into it, 2 watt DK, swinging to 28 on AM. At first I couldn't get the tune variable to make any difference, it would come unmeshed before the power would start to move on the meter. I messing with the tap on the pi coil 4 or five times, I got it to get a peak on the meter. After getting max power on the tune, load, drive. It'll DK 225 and swing to 1000-1100 on high, I took a video and a pic of it. On low, it'll do 400. Same numbers on SSB. The HR2510 does 35-37 on SSB. I got great audio reports, on from a friend in his mobile, 32 miles away, and other locals. I am pleased. :cheers:

I'll upload some pictures of it.

I hve been playing with the SSB delay cap. The eagle 500 schematic list it as 100uF, but the amp came with a 5uf. 5Uf is too short, 100uF keeps the relay keyed. I am at 15 uF now. I'll be trying a 25uF and that should do it.

Also, I seen somewhere a few pictures of the 500, and on the bottom of the board it had 2 40uF electrolytics. This amp only has one there. I can't see the values of them on the schematic I have for the 500. I also seem to have a cap or something missing from the load air variable, though It is about 5/8 meshed to get peak power.

Thanks to all those that helped

Kenrich Eale 515 1000 watts - YouTube

I eventually got the SSB delay sorted, recapped this amp, and ran it for months. I now use my KLV1000 almost exclusively. This amp may get sold, dont:t know yet. I have to see how it sounds behind my DX2517.

Well, I got all new silver mica caps for it, and a few of the electrolytics. Blew it out with some air, turned it on and let it warm up for an hour. Ran my HR2510 into it, 2 watt DK, swinging to 28 on AM. At first I couldn't get the tune variable to make any difference, it would come unmeshed before the power would start to move on the meter. I messing with the tap on the pi coil 4 or five times, I got it to get a peak on the meter. After getting max power on the tune, load, drive. It'll DK 225 and swing to 1000-1100 on high, I took a video and a pic of it. On low, it'll do 400. Same numbers on SSB. The HR2510 does 35-37 on SSB. I got great audio reports, on from a friend in his mobile, 32 miles away, and other locals. I am pleased. :cheers:

I hve been playing with the SSB delay cap. The eagle 500 schematic list it as 100uF, but the amp came with a 5uf. 5Uf is too short, 100uF keeps the relay keyed. I am at 15 uF now. I'll be trying a 25uF and that should do it.

Also, I seen somewhere a few pictures of the 500, and on the bottom of the board it had 2 40uF electrolytics. This amp only has one there. I can't see the values of them on the schematic I have for the 500. I also seem to have a cap or something missing from the load air variable, though It is about 5/8 meshed to get peak power.

My dad's friend designed and built the eagle series (Ken woolbright)my dad being an engineer built a modified version yes like 500 swinging to 1200.awesome amp.

Kenrich aka Ken woolbright had his shop at nw expressway and MacArthur in okc.also sold and designed many items. Enjoy your amp,link if you want to sell.

Reactions: liquidh8
Dang phone,500 on low.200 swinging to 1200 on high mostly using a modified cobra 148 custom power mic,pdl2 quad antenna.

Reactions: liquidh8
I recently acquired a very clean Kenrich Eagle 500 amp. I use a stock Galaxy 94HP to drive it with the RF Power at its lowest setting of 1 watt modulating to 15 watts RMS. I get 110 watts DK from the amp on the hi side, modulating easily to 900+ watts PEP. I use a 600 hz tone when tuning the amp. The amp runs cool and signal reports say no splatter and audio sounds clean and crisp.

Thanks guys, been away from the forum a while. Life took over, built a new house last year, and have been deployed for almost a year.

I ran this amp a bunch behind my HR2510. Always to it sounded good, never drove it real hard. I think the tubes may not be the freshest, but that's alright. All my gear is currently in storage. I hope at the end of this year to get a station back up and running.

Just inherited one of these amps. should be here at my garage/shack today. It is supposed to come with a "bunch" of spare tubes. I hit cb tricks and found nothing on this particular model.

I was wondering on the tuning procedures, drive input, and if I can run it on SSB. The person who owned it was the original owner, and claims he ran a modulator into and would get 800+ out of it. I pretty sure he was an am talker. He said he would get new tubes under warranty, even though the ones he had were fine, so there should be at least one spare set. I'll know today. I would like to run it after my Galaxy Saturn, that'll do about 40 watts with the new HRF20w finals.

Here are a few videos, I'll add some pictures too. There are a few issues with it it looks like.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1bAFeji9DyHZnRhaWx5aHd3SDg
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1bAFeji9DyHTXdKVlhRVjRnZEU

It has a cap popped by one of the finals, a little red kidney bean one.
A few of the electrolytics have already been replaced, i hope the are the right value
It needs a new fan, one was put in the back, but nothing is blowing across the finals.
It seems it has already been modded for cb/11m use.
There is a green wire running from the top of the PCB behind the relay, then looks as if it should go thru one of the grommeted holes, but it is snipped.
I wonder why? The other half may have been resoldered to a different point on the board.
There is no SSB delay, i would like to add this to talk on it.

Also, I have read about adding a modulator tube of sorts? Anyone know how to do this? The amp is nice looking, I got it for next to nothing, with spare tubes. So if I put a few bucks in it for some caps and a fan, i don't mind at all.

Pics to come soon.

Any have any information that they can give me?? Thank you all!
The only thing that needed to be changed for 11 meter was on was on top of the variable capacitors the coil that connects to the vc would need to be re soldered to the black mark made by a sharpy . I used to work for Kenny building them . Not sure about the green wire you are yalk8ng about and yes they are set up for ssb. But the caps do have to be good or you will get a chatter from the t

The only thing that needed to be changed for 11 meter was on was on top of the variable capacitors the coil that connects to the vc would need to be re soldered to the black mark made by a sharpy . I used to work for Kenny building them . Not sure about the green wire you are yalk8ng about and yes they are set up for ssb. But the caps do have to be good or you will get a chatter from the the relay .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.