• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Kenwood 710 mic (MC-59) backlight color hack?

mmccurdy

Jan 12, 2010
Kind of a random question: I like the green backlight color of my TM-D710a, but it kind of bugs me that the mic unit's backlight is not adjustable -- it is always a reddish amber color regardless of the head unit setting.

Does anyone know if there's a hack for this? I'm envisioning something simple like popping the unit open and swapping out a few LED's, but I'm unlikely to go digging in there myself without some indication that it will work and I won't fry my mic (or worse) in the process. After all, it doesn't bug me that much.

Thanks!

I haven't looked inside of one of those mics, but it should be simple. All you should have to do is swap out some LEDs for a color you like. Give it a try and take some pics and show us how you did it :)

did this mod ever get going?
if not, ill do the green swap on the mic when i get mine. i noticed the mic had an ugly orange colour, green would look smoother IMO. ill post up here when i have time to open the mic up.

did this mod ever get going?
if not, ill do the green swap on the mic when i get mine. i noticed the mic had an ugly orange colour, green would look smoother IMO. ill post up here when i have time to open the mic up.

were you ever able to look in your mic? I just pulled a new 710 out of the box tonite after it sat here for 2 weeks, just got Geosat Av Map 6 for the aprs, I want to figure everything out and what I can and can't do before i put it in vehicle.

I think that's one mod that's not for the faint of heart. I've opened the mic once, and promptly put it back together! Considering my abilities, I think I can put up with that amber color for quite some time.
Good luck.
- 'Doc

Ledmod was a waste of time . Amber works just fine

Sent from Outerspace, on the DarkSide of X.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.