• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Kenwood 990 Coming Next Month

I see on the link it uses 50V fets driven to 200w for the finals. I wonder what power supply it uses. The FT1000 is awkward to get a power supply for as it gives several different voltages as well as 48v I hear. If this radio could be used with a server psu it wouldnt be too bad because we all know power supply units dont last forever and are a common source of trouble.

The TS-950SDX also uses power MOSFETs: Motorola MRF150s, also run at 50 volts (well, 48 volts, but close enough). That radio is designed for 150 watts rather than 200, but the VRF150 is a heavier duty part. According to Kenwood's literature, it was the first HF amateur rig to use FETs intead of BJTs in the transmitter, and it offered a lower distortion output as a result.

The power supply in the 950SDX is linear style (as opposed to switching) with two different transformers and several different regulators and output voltages: 50v for the finals, plus 15v and several 5v outputs. I think there's one negative voltage for the florescent display tube too.

The transformers account for much of the radio's weight: it's nearly 60lbs. I hope for the 990 they switched to a switching style supply, though with everything else they crammed into it it's probably still going to be pretty hefty.

-Bill

Added:

Oh, derp, the description at the Kenwood link says it does have a switching power supply.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.