• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Kenwood TH-D72 2m/440 APRS HT Review

Worked For Me!

I ran into the same problem, and this is what did the trick for me:

Install the driver and plug in the USB cable.
In the Windows Device Mager, right-click "Silicon Labs CP210x ..." and select "Properties".
Select "Port Settings" -> "Advanced".
Change the COM Port Number to something else (unused), then change it back again.
Pull the USB cable from the computer and then put it back again.

Maybe this works for someone else too.

Jonas/SM5PHU

Thank you, Jonas! Your suggestion worked like a charm!

Also for Moleculo: a big THANKS for your excellent review. It was the deciding factor for me to purchase the D72A. As good as the radio is though, I still cannot get the MCP-4 software to recognize the radio. I did the firmware update first, followed by the driver installation, but the programming software says that it doesn't see the radio, regardless of the com ports matching up and confirming that the driver is installed. Frustrating to say the least.

Just registered tonight on the site.

Bill, W7HMV

MCP-4 Software Issue & Solution

I could not get the MCP-4 program to recognize my D-72A in spite of many attempts, inluding uninstalling and re-installing the virtual driver, changing com ports using device manager, etc. Kenwood USA was of no help whatsoever. Another new owner of a D72 here in town was also having the same problem.

We were chatting on a local repeater yesterday, and another ham, Jay, KE7EGO, suggested downloading and installing the MCP-4 program with any anti-virus software disabled. So, the other D-72A owner and I tried it and VOILA!!!! Success! Now the MCP-4 program is working!

So, if anyone is having problems getting the MCP-4 program to recognize he D-72, try disabling any anti-virus progam and then download/install the MCP-4 again. I hope this helps!

Seems the THD72A can RX Marine, but not TX - is this correct?

If I read the specs correctly, there is no way to TX on marine band. 156.025–157.425 MHz .. if there any way to mod the radio to TX on Marine band as well?

If not, any suggestions radio wise?

Steve

If I read the specs correctly, there is no way to TX on marine band. 156.025–157.425 MHz .. if there any way to mod the radio to TX on Marine band as well?

If not, any suggestions radio wise?

Steve

The revised version modification will now allow transmit there. Check out the mod thread for this radio in the modifications section.

"How-to" Manual

The manual for the D72 doesn't seem to be the greatest as far as ease of understanding how to set up the radio for APRS. I've checked th Yahoo group but
really can't find any straightforward 1,2,3 procedure for the settings, beacon, received stations and messages.
Anyone here know of a cheat sheet for the D72?
Thanks for any input,
N6RDC

Hey guys, new here... Great review, Moleculo... got this radio yesterday and your review was a big help. I'm looking forward to exploring this radio and APRS. This is probably old news here, but the "In-Depth Manual" linked here is a great "how-to" resource, with contributions from a "who's who" of the APRS world:

Kenwood - TH-D72A

What are your thoughts on this radio for a newbie who wants something "to grow into." I am interested in APRS, desire computer connectivity, am computer literate, want 2m and 70cm dual band, etc.

How intuitive are the basic operations? I know there is a rather steep learning curve for the bells and whistles. The manual looks good and complete for the basics.

My other preferences are listed here:
http://www.worldwidedx.com/general-ham-radio-discussion/133716-seeking-advice-first-radio.html

What are your thoughts on this radio for a newbie who wants something "to grow into." I am interested in APRS, desire computer connectivity, am computer literate, want 2m and 70cm dual band, etc.

How intuitive are the basic operations? I know there is a rather steep learning curve for the bells and whistles. The manual looks good and complete for the basics.

My other preferences are listed here:
http://www.worldwidedx.com/general-ham-radio-discussion/133716-seeking-advice-first-radio.html

The basic operations are fairly straight forward, in my opinion. Some time after I purchased this radio, Kenwood came out with an additional extensive manual that details the more advanced APRS operations. This manual is very helpful for the first time APRS user. You can certainly "grow into" the more advanced features of this radio.

I've actually grown to like this HT more as I have used it. It's not perfect, but it does what it does very well.

I have the Kenwood TH-D7(G) as my first radio. You can do a lot of things with the radio, and more than any HT from another manufacturer. My only wish is for more wattage, as where I live now I can't reach anyone.

Jake

"My only wish is for more wattage, as where I live now I can't reach anyone."

Can you hook up a power amp between the output and the antenna lead for use as a base station?

Sure. Get an amp from Mirage and a hand mic and you'll have the power output of a mobile radio.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.