• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Kenwood TH-D72 Extended TX mod

I try it, it worked perfectly, it´s from the original Kenwood document, and for the A model.

That means that they've updated the document from what I posted, because mine came from them also, and didn't mention removing D730 (1).

Is there a way to put this mod post on the top of this thread?, so the new ones that enter don´t have to get around all the story...just an idea...

Done. I edited the original post and gave you credit for the revised mod.

Anyone run across the reassembly difficultly getting the case back together?
See Below:

Step 11: Place the PC board assembly with the speaker and display facing up. Remove the rubber gasket (with all the keys) from the case, and place it on top of the PC board assembly. Then take the case, and starting from the top, fit the channel selector knob and antenna through the case, and then gently press the case over the rubber grommet, guiding the number keys through the holes in the case. (Note-on most mods the PC board easily fits back in the case. In my case, the PC board hung up on the grommet during reassembly and would not fit back in the case. The alternative method above worked best for me)

11a: Replace the Side Jack Accessory Cover.

12: Once you get to the Auxiliary and Reset screen, the default is VFO reset. Hit the Right arrow on the cursor knob, get a flashing "vfo reset", then rotate knob to "full reset" and hit the right arrow again, The display will read "FULL Reset Sure? [OK]" and hit the right arrow again, and the radio will indicate "RESETTING!".

The mod works as advertised!

Of note, The USA version of the TH-D72A has diodes in positions 1 and 3 (reference Fig 3 in the official Kenwood Supplementary Info.). 2 is absent.

put the diode on just #2, removed from 1 and 3, and it becomes a Type=E radio.
you will lose the Weather band option though :(

I am thinking of getting one of these can someone tell me more info about the mod and the weather band option? Does it lose the wx band all toghter or does it still work with alerts ? Please give more info

Thanks
Mike Henry
wd5mhz

THD72

I would like to do this mod but never removed a diode . Would it be a wise choice to try?
jim

THD72

Maybe I should do some removal on a junk board first? you apply heat on each end and remove ? thanks,jim

Maybe I should do some removal on a junk board first? you apply heat on each end and remove ? thanks,jim

Yes, first practice, use fine Tips for the soldering iron, and it would be a lot easier to use 2 soldering irons (pencil) at same time on each end, so that would remove very fast the component.

Good luck!

i did it and all works fine. But you don't have to remove LCD. You remove the speaker. LCD stays in place. I just clipped and removed with some very small clippers from my wifes mamicure kit. I tested it by selecting the frequencies on my scanner and transmitting.
thanks,jim
oh,it has been 20yrs since I seen the new diodes. I've seen fly specks larger than them!

i did it and all works fine. But you don't have to remove LCD. You remove the speaker. LCD stays in place. I just clipped and removed with some very small clippers from my wifes mamicure kit. I tested it by selecting the frequencies on my scanner and transmitting.
thanks,jim
oh,it has been 20yrs since I seen the new diodes. I've seen fly specks larger than them!

Excellent news Jim!, removing the LCD is just for avoiding damage to it when the soldering iron is near.

regards, XE1BRX
Jonathan

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated