• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Kenwood TK- 860

DJ JIGGLER

Jan 30, 2010
so i have the Kenwood TK- 860 what is it used for i got it for free thinking it was like a CB radio but when i turn it on it only has t channels

any help or info thanks!

here are some pics of it

2hcdvrt.jpg

rc6177.jpg

I think this radio is meant for private business. Only to be used when use is authorized with special permits from the FCC.
It's also built for the "UHF band" - somewhere in the 400mhz range or above.
CB is in the "HF band"; around the 27mhz range.
Apples and oranges

I found a write up that was in German I think,all I could get from it was it is a 450 to 470 mhz radio

It might could be modded for 440 mhz ham ...just a guess though

450-476mhz I believe, from memory that is what the -1 should designate

so is there anything i can do with it? like make it so i can listen to other people?
I could be wrong; but I think this kind of radio needs to be pre-programmed to designate the frequecies to be used. It will require a Ham license to operate. You can only listen to a few of the frequencies available on that ham band - the 440mhz range. A long way from the CB band...

In my opinion, it seems to be more trouble to you than it is worth, eapecially if you are interested in CB's. I would sell it or trade it - you never know - someone might want it...

Two cents worth...

I could be wrong; but I think this kind of radio needs to be pre-programmed to designate the frequecies to be used. It will require a Ham license to operate. You can only listen to a few of the frequencies available on that ham band - the - the 440mhz range.

In my opinion, it seems to be more trouble to you than it is worth, eapecially if you are interested in CB's. I would sell it or trade it - you never know - someone might want it...

Two cents worth...

Yes it needs to be computer programmed, it's very easy to do though. The programming software can be purchased (the legal way) or you can join certain yahoo groups and acquire it that way. Use KPG-29D. Programming cables are cheap, buy one from China off Ebay.

Those radios aren't too popular with amateurs but they were at one time VERY common in emergency/police communications and in business use (farms/ranches mostly around here at least). I looked up to make sure and I was right about the frequencies earlier but that one should be able to program well below it's listed frequencies.

If you have no use for it, either put it up for sale here or throw it on ebay.

TY, but i think i would like a CB better so i think i'm going to sell it!

how much do you think i can get out of it?

i saw somewhere it was like 200 used

It all depends on what someone is willing to pay but that goes for everything.

Radio by itself I'd say no more than $50 if you want to move it fairly quickly.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.