• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • The Winners of the three Retevis radios 16 Anniversary giveaway are announced!! Click Here to find out if you won!

Kenwood TK981

N2DKI

New Member
Oct 6, 2026
1
0
1
75
My Kenwood TK981 radio is acting up and could use some advice.

In the past, when you hold down the SCN button and turn on the power the radio went into the front panel control menu, such as power level, squelch and such. Now when I do this the radio shows the baud rate and no menu.

Second issue while driving around, the radio goes into a screen showing the memory position (1) plus the number 255. After about 30 seconds the radio goes back to the frequency in memory.

Any clues?
Please respond to n2dki@icloud.com or frank@n2dki.net or voice/text 702-561-8555.

Thanks,

Frank
 

I found the manual of interest here:

SCN + Power ON enters firmware mode. I think what you want is panel tuning mode.

Page 13:
1791253007976.png


The tuning mode menu tree can be found on page 44:
1791253070835.png

Hold the A key too, I believe.
 
  • Like
Reactions: TM007

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.