• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

KENWOOD TS-2000 INTERMITTENT STOP TRANSMIT AND RECEIVE

Happy_Hamer

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 22, 2001
Strange coincidence on two TS-2000's mine and a friend 20 miles away

Both TS-2000's had an intermittent problem. THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM!

The radio would work fine then all of a sudden, it would stop TX and RX.

Display worked fine, it continued to switch bands, frequencies and everything was still lit up.

You would shut off the radio and turn it back on and it would start working normal again.

Kept hearing a relay chatter every time this happened so took off the top cover where we heard the relay and the noise, there was a relay near the speaker. K201.

I even asked on several online forums for help.

SO there the radio sat, speaker removed with an external speaker hooked up just waiting for the radio to stop working.

Sure enough, it stopped, with the slightest of pressure, touched K201 and the radio started working again.

It did this multiple times over the next several days.

You could press the K201 relay back and forth and make the radio cut out just like it did on its own. Cold solder joint on the relay leg right?

There was A LOT TO DO to remove that board to get to the bottom of K201 and just re-solder the legs, so it took a few extra days to set aside time to do it. Finally a day with nothing to do and plenty of time.

Here is the fun part

The very first screw removed was for IC-202, which was to the left of where K201 was and mounted under the speaker. When this screw was removed, something was odd, ALL THREE LEGS barely had any solder on them and all three popped up off the board!

WOW!!!!! SO before removing anything else, CAREFULLY cleaned up IC-202 and the board, re-soldered the three legs and fired the radio up.

It worked perfect, I would press on the K201 relay and the radio would not stop working.

NO WAY THIS COULD HAVE BEEN THE PROBLEM!!!!!!

My friend immediately took his radio apart and IC-202 had a bad solder joint as well, he re-soldered his and IT WORKED!!

I never thought of posting my results because we were just happy the radio worked.

I received an email from KF7SN who asked if the problem was ever solved because he sent his radio to Kenwood with the same issue, I believe he stated 3 times and multiple $$$$$ with no joy in the repairs. I will let him tell his repair history. So I sent him an email with the picture and location of IC-202. I also spoke with him over the phone. Told him how easy the repair was and should only cost him time and a few drops of solder. He said after many failed repairs from Kenwood, he put the radio in storage and just wrote it off. He said it would be several weeks before he could get to the radio and try the repair but he would let me know.

Curiosity must have got the best of him, because a few hours later I got this email from Geary

"Thanks William, sure enough that Voltage Regulator was not soldered to the PCB at all. And I took it off and resoldered it to the board and brought the rig back up stair from the basement and it works fine. I took it very easy going down and up the stairs but I had to check out that IC #202. Thank you so very much, now I have a Radio, a TS-2000 back on the air and it did not cost me a thing. Unlike the last few times it was sent in for repairs."

I hope this simple repair will bring some failed TS-2000's back to the air!

repair202.jpg

73 everyone

Did all 3 fricken legs pop up on yours!!?? What the hell is the matter with these techs in the service departments at the manufactures nowdays?? Yaesu Kenwood Icom all have problems with their techs in the service departments!! I remember when a friend of mine was working in the service department at Yaesu Vertex in California he was telling me on the phone oneday about what was going on in their service department and I couldnt believe it!!!

This service department problem is allover and like I said in all the manufacture service departments. I send anything I dont want to deal with to Burghardt and they have always made me happy. Bill I bet you will get alot of thank you cards and love letters if you posted this on QRZ because I imagine their are several of them out there from this run of manufacture date that are sitting on a shelf due to this exact problem.

Bear in mind the TS-2000 supports multiple bands besides HF, and it may not use the same final stages for all bands (it might be a little hard to make the HF power amp work on 440Mhz.)

According to the service manual, Q3 and Q4 on the final unit are HF/VHF drivers and Q6 and Q7 are HF/50Mhz final amplifiers. The parts are:

Q3/Q4: 2SC1972
Q6/Q7: 2SC5125

The radio specs show it's rated for 100 watts on HF total. It looks like the 2SC5125 is made by Mitsubishi and is rated for about 80 watts.

-Bill, unit248

Same problem on my 2K. Just resoldered and work again!!
Thank U
best 73 de IK0MMI
andrea

My friend immediately took his radio apart and IC-202 had a bad solder joint as well, he re-soldered his and IT WORKED!!

Reactions: 1 person
Parts that must be mounted to the heatsink are the few that are not soldered through the automated wave solder machine. They must be mounted first then soldered in by hand to insure proper alignment with the screw threads in the heatsink and solder pads on the board.

When the part falls off the board when the screw is removed, there is no doubt that someone didn't do their job right. Same thing when they typically forget to apply heatsink compound to some parts or only feel it's necessary to apply it to one side of an insulator.

To me that's an obvious factory mistake that should be covered under warranty regardless of how long it might have taken for the unsoldered connections or missing heatsink compound to cause a problem.

If I paid for this problem to be fixed multiple times and then found this out, I'd make quite the fuss with Kenwood to get a complete refund or suffer the bad publicity of sharing their mistakes online.

Like I've done with Yaesu on their FT-857 for an oscillating 6 meter transmitter or a VX-7R for it's square wave PL encoder that can't be filtered out in any receiver. Both design flaws they refused to cover under warranty and as a result, there are thousands of these defective radios in the market today.

Glad l found this thread. My TS2000 had the same problem, every week or so it would play up. Turn the radio off and on a few times and it would come good for a week.
Found two legs on IC202 to be soldered incorrectly. Resoldered them a month ago and haven’t had anymore problems.
Thanks @Happy_Hamer

Thank you!

Excellent diagnostics and advice. I had the same problem with my TS-2000, which was quickly repaired following the very clear instructions.

In my case, the output leg of the voltage regulator had come loose. But, none of the leads were soldered well. It appears someone didn't tell the assembly person that the leads of a surface-mounted TO-220 case should always be beveled toward the board. This is not the first physically stressed TO-220 I've seen pulled loose.

Display worked fine, it continued to switch bands, frequencies and everything was still lit up.

You would shut off the radio and turn it back on and it would start working normal again.

Kept hearing a relay chatter every time this happened so took off the top cover where we heard the relay and the noise, there was a relay near the speaker. K201.

SO there the radio sat, speaker removed with an external speaker hooked up just waiting for the radio to stop working.

Sure enough, it stopped, with the slightest of pressure, touched K201 and the radio started working again.

You could press the K201 relay back and forth and make the radio cut out just like it did on its own. Cold solder joint on the relay leg right?

There was A LOT TO DO to remove that board to get to the bottom of K201 and just re-solder the legs, so it took a few extra days to set aside time to do it. Finally a day with nothing to do and plenty of time.

Here is the fun part

The very first screw removed was for IC-202, which was to the left of where K201 was and mounted under the speaker. When this screw was removed, something was odd, ALL THREE LEGS barely had any solder on them and all three popped up off the board!

WOW!!!!! SO before removing anything else, CAREFULLY cleaned up IC-202 and the board, re-soldered the three legs and fired the radio up.

It worked perfect, I would press on the K201 relay and the radio would not stop working.

I never thought of posting my results because we were just happy the radio worked.

I received an email from KF7SN who asked if the problem was ever solved because he sent his radio to Kenwood with the same issue, I believe he stated 3 times and multiple $$$$$ with no joy in the repairs. I will let him tell his repair history. So I sent him an email with the picture and location of IC-202. I also spoke with him over the phone. Told him how easy the repair was and should only cost him time and a few drops of solder. He said after many failed repairs from Kenwood, he put the radio in storage and just wrote it off. He said it would be several weeks before he could get to the radio and try the repair but he would let me know.

Curiosity must have got the best of him, because a few hours later I got this email from Geary

"Thanks William, sure enough that Voltage Regulator was not soldered to the PCB at all. And I took it off and resoldered it to the board and brought the rig back up stair from the basement and it works fine. I took it very easy going down and up the stairs but I had to check out that IC #202. Thank you so very much, now I have a Radio, a TS-2000 back on the air and it did not cost me a thing. Unlike the last few times it was sent in for repairs."

View attachment 8397

73 everyone
Thank you for this info helped me to sort the problem Quickly and I'm back on the Air de G0FOG 73. Great Job :)

Here is the fun part

View attachment 8397

73 everyone
I had the same problem. No solder at all on the regulator pins!!! Bad qualitly control Kenwood!!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated