• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

kenwood ts440 at

troyota

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
May 9, 2007
hello, i have a 440 that works great on all bands and all modes but 10 meter. it has garbled audio on 10. great on 75, 80 40 , 20. also works good on 10 meter fm. also the speech processor doesnt work well either. which is not a problem cause it has great audio anyway. more concerned with the garbled audio on 10.
thanks
troy kj4dul

By "garbled audio", do you mean the RX audio? I found this information that might be helpful:

Problem: RX audio distortion. {This problem seems to be more prevalent in early production radios. There may have been a recent factory component change to reduce receive distortion.} There is one designed-in source of distortion and several other possible sources of distortion. The designed-in source of distortion exists because not enough forward bias current is applied to the switch diodes that select the SSB [D23] , AM [D24] , and FM [D25] audio detectors. Here's why: A mixer is a nonlinear device. Nonlinearity and distortion go hand in hand. Diodes make good mixers when their forward current is in the range of 0.05mA to about 0.6mA. At currents above 1.5mA, diodes are reasonably linear and they make good switches. The switch diodes in the TS-440S have enabling currents of from 0.2mA for FM to 0.28mA for SSB, so the switch diodes are operating in the region of maximum nonlinearity, which results in distortion. The fix is simple: Increase the forward bias DC-current through the diodes to roughly 2mA. This is accomplished by decreasing the resistance of each DC-bias resistor to about 1k Ohm. When these resistors are decreased in value, the 5000 Ohm impedance of the low-level audio circuits decreases to about 500 Ohms and the values of the coupling capacitors must be increased accordingly to prevent a rolloff of the low frequencies. Similarly, the resistors that are in series with the audio signals in these circuits must be decreased in value to offset signal attenuation. The capacitance of the filter capacitors between switch diode bias resistors (for SSB: C52, 4.7µF) must be increased to compensate for the decreased value of the bias resistors.
Fix for SSB audio detector and D23 switch: In the left, rear corner of the IF Unit, change: R71, R73, R74, and R85 to 1k Ohm; C53 to 47µF, 10V [XL=68 Ohms at 50Hz]; C52 to 22µF, 16V.
I'm guessing that similar changes can be made in the AM and FM detectors. This project can become tricky since some of the needed changes can also affect the transmit÷receive transition performance of the radio. Thus, it may be necessary to compromise by lowering the switch diode bias current to about 1mA. In general, this can be done by using 2k Ohm, instead of 1k Ohm, bias resistors.
If, after the changes are incorporated, you can still hear RX distortion on SSB, the problem may lie at the
[right-adjacent} product detector. Possible FIX: Install the missing injection-oscillator terminating-resistor at the product detector. This resistor is 62 Ohm, 1/8W or 1/4W. It is soldered under the IF Unit PC board, near L5. The terminating-resistor is soldered to the junction of R69 and R70 and the ground foil at the edge of the PC board. If the distortion persists, you may have an unmatched set of Germanium product-detector diodes: D19, D20, D21, and D22. These diodes can be replaced with Schottky diodes. The product detector balance should then be checked and adjusted as follows: Connect an RF detector to the emitter of Q9/R77. R77 sticks up from the board at one end so that the test connection can be easily made. The RF detector can be an oscilloscope, detector/probe for a DMM, or a 455KHz receiver coupled through a 10pF capacitor. With no signal input to the ANT jack, turn the RF Gain on the 440 to zero. Set mode to USB, IF Shift to detent. Adjust TC1 [also installed backwards, like TC2] for minimum RF. End of test. Reset the RF Gain control to normal.

Troy,
I haven't had that particular problem with a '440 so can't say much about it. You might look for the 'TS-440' forum on Yahoo (used to be one anyway), they seem to have a 'cure' for about anything that happens with a '440.
I can tell you where to send it if you can't, or don't want to do the 'fixing'. Probably not the cheapest place to get things done, but definitely one of the better ones. It's in Texas so that might be too inconvenient. (Bet 'Mole' knows the place too.) Hope you don't have to do that, but it's an option.
- 'Doc

thanks for the replys. it is garbled on tx. the rx is fine on all bands and modes. when i use it on 10 people tell me they cant understand me. it is all muffled up.
thanks troy

TS 440Sat

I had one of those a few years back. I had about every problem known to the forums with it and had a ton of money rapped up in the old girl. I fix it the last time and dumped to a ham buddy of mine cheap and he's been using it ever since...figures right!

The 10 meter audio problem is pretty common stems from one of 2 things in most cases.
1. PLL processor becomes unlocked in transmit mode and garbles the audio.
2. ALC problem (you might see a lower than 100 watt output in SSB mode also) This problem can show up in operation above 20mtr's and be fine everywhere else.

Either problem requires the change of some components and some very tricky soldering skills due to locations on the boards associated.

So if your uncertain it may be best to send it off. I also know a good old Motorola Tech in Ohio that has done several of them and might work on it and bring it back to spec. Good Luck
All the Best
BJ

Last edited:
thank you bj radionut. i am in kentucky so that may be a possibility to send to ohio. anyway i dont care to look at it myself to try figure out the problem. if it is to much trouble i will send it out then. anyway do you have any links or info so i know where to start?
first off i will try the alc. if i am under 100 watts on ssb this should be the culprit correct? hmm got me thinking i can try 17, 15 and 12 meters to see if its there too. i think this rig is open on 11 also it may be the easiest to check because of locals using 11 meters. i will have to see if it open there.
thanks for the reply

as bj radionut stated, if it is garbeled on ALL bands then the PLL is unlocked and VCO-5 is the problem.

get kenwood service bulletin SB-973 and SB 952.

if it is JUST 10 meters, in addition to the ALC adjusting (keep the ALC deflection to a minimum) also test the 10 meter band pass diodes.

my money is on a VCO-5 issue.... the rubber insulation dries out after a few years and the thermal insulation loss causes the VCO to vary, causing the PLL to unlock.

BTY, does the display ever turn into a series of "dashes"?

good luck

my money is on a VCO-5 issue.... the rubber insulation dries out after a few years and the thermal insulation loss causes the VCO to vary, causing the PLL to unlock.

Yeah, get a set of dental picks, some small jewelers screwdrivers, a 10x magnifier, and about a weeks worth of evenings....you'll have that stuff in your teeth, your hair, up your nose...

Yeah, get a set of dental picks, some small jewelers screwdrivers, a 10x magnifier, and about a weeks worth of evenings....you'll have that stuff in your teeth, your hair, up your nose...

hahaha i remember the first one i did.... what a mess! :headbang
the second one went much better. it's actually not difficult, but it is tedious

Im with Hookedon6 with this one there were alot of issues with the TS440S with the PLL unlocking Im actually surprised that after that problem started you havent already seen the old display problem which is where the display shows nothing but dots across the display and no numbers. That would be next I to had went through these headaches but I also love those TS-440S and still do.

I dont own one anymore but want another one in my collection when they work they are really awsome radios recieve and transmit wise. Along with the TS-430 they are great radios and there are alot still in use but slowly dissapearing if you like the rig Ide suggest even sending it to Burghardt Amateur Center in South Dakota 1-800-927-4261 ask for Jim Tell him Tony from Wisconsin referred them just explain whats happening . They are a great batch of people overthere and smart with these old radios. They also have a 30 day warranty.

When you explain whats happening they can probally tel you whats happening and what needs to be done and if you want then to do it they can give you a quote on the repairs. They return ship escellent they foam pack the items it really is a fast turn a round time.

Last edited:
thanks a bunch for the service manual. it dowloaded for me in about 25 seconds. anyway i havent seen the dreaded dots or dashes yet. i still havent had a chance to check it out good either. been real busy at work and lots of stuff here to do to. i did try it for 100w on 10 meter usb and its there, actually a little better according to 2 of my meters. i will try to make time to check it on 12 meters to see if the garbling is still there. please guys more thoughts and info. so far you have been a great help. maybe this thread will help others too, thanks

ok had a chance to check it out a little more today. on 11 meter usb i couldnt get it to tune in the receive very well. the guy i was talking too said it sounded like i was holding my nose. we swtched to lsb and it worked fine, am is ok too. any ideas?

i wouldn't make any major decisions based on one guy's comments on 11 meters :) .

All things considered, I honestly think your best bet is to take/send it to an authorized Kenwood 'mechanic'. Not exactly the cheapest solution, but the best unless you are very familiar with, and have the required equipment to check the thing out.
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.