• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Kenwood ts820 power output

reddog45

Jun 13, 2011
I have a kenwood 820 and I'm getting about 75-80 watts on 10 meters. Is this about right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. 45, North Florida

I have a TS-820s that makes full power (100 watts) on all bands easily including 10m without exceeding proper plate current and it still has the factory original 12BY7 driver tube and original S2001 finals (6146B equivalent ).

RD45: Couple things....
1. NO ONE can tell the difference between 80w out and 100w on the receive end....Your not going to be louder....period!

2: Do you know what brand of tubes are installed...ex...if someone has installed NEW(NOS) GE 6146W's...yes then the 80w's is about average...
The newer style 6146W's normally show a little less output than the older RCA/Sylvania 6146B's....not an issue...

3: You could change JUST the driver (12BY7A) tube with a NEW one...again I prefer RCA/Sylvania's but NOS GE/Westinghouse/JAN(old Military) will be fine...
Then check to see if there is a "slight" increase....again NO ones going to know but you!

4: DO NOT install NEW/USED final 6146's unless you know how to realign the entire transmitter stage....you can send the rig to the JUNK pile by doing so...

Otherwise just run her the way she is and enjoy....NICE RIGS...
Shure 444D...IMHO is the best mics for those....
maybe a D104 with the HEIL/HC5 or HC6 element installed...

One more question...Do you have a DUMMY LOAD? and What is the output on 80m and 20m into a good dummy load? This can tell us something about the rig also....
All the Best
BJ

I have a TS-820, it is like CK said makes easy 100W all bands and then some as you go lower in frequency.

75 to 80 is fine on 10 meters, it may be your meter is stingy or just a little weak tubes. As BJ stated no one can hear the difference between 80 watts and a 100 watts on the air.

Now if the crystal has been changed and it is being used on 11 meters then the rig does need an alignment for that band. Could be the reason for the lower output.

Ok. I did a little internal tuning on the coil pack and now am seeing 90-100 watts. Also on the high voltage setting of the radio meter, the reading is about 300 and at full output the meter drops to about 270. Is this too much drop? Filter caps maybe?

Ok. I did a little internal tuning on the coil pack and now am seeing 90-100 watts. Also on the high voltage setting of the radio meter, the reading is about 300 and at full output the meter drops to about 270. Is this too much drop? Filter caps maybe?

Sounds like you are looking at the plate current scale and not the high voltage scale. The high voltage should be around 850-900 dropping about 50 volts or so on transmit. Those numbers coincide with the 300mA and 270mA scale so I would say that what you have is perfectly normal. To read the HV you should be looking at the RED scale.

Yep. I was looking at the wrong scale. Sorry about that. So this drop sounds normal? With 100w out?

Thanks for all the info. I have another thread about the t-ssb pot accessible from the bottom of the radio and still am having a hard time figuring it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

45, North Florida

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.