• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

kernal error

Se7en

Jun 27, 2010
Ca
my windows xp media center last night froze.
turned it off and back on and no longer have a kernal, from my guess is there is a virus in the BOOT.INI file somewhere? when i boot from windows cd R (recovery console and the bootcfg /rebuild command to rebuild the boot.ini) it just freezes up. i try to reinstall windows it gets a blue screen saying to do a chkdsk /f.

how do i run command line when turning on computer? is the only way to do this is remove hd and plug into ANOTHER COMPUTER VIA: usb and run chkdsk like that?

dell dimension 4gb ram 2tb hd 2gb video COD everyday (y)

Last edited:

@qwazyone, that didnt work. And neither did safe mode.

posted using world wide Tapatalk. Droid DX

You can do a lot from the Command Prompt in the recovery console. But personally I like to boot from a "WinPE" or "Live XP" CD and use that to rummage around the HD and do what I need to do.

In the past I would make my own with BartPE. But lately I've gotten lazy and switched to Hiren's BootCD, and more recently FalconFour's Ultimate Boot CD because, well, their's are better than the discs I made. And after spending untold hours fighting and cleaning all sorts of malware, now I usually just use the bootCD to copy my files over to a USB HD and then format/reinstall Windoze. It saves me time and trouble in the long run.

All this stuff is available at just about any torrent site. My favorite is Demonoid.me. Registration is now open, so hurry! :D

You can do a lot from the Command Prompt in the recovery console. But personally I like to boot from a "WinPE" or "Live XP" CD and use that to rummage around the HD and do what I need to do.

In the past I would make my own with BartPE. But lately I've gotten lazy and switched to Hiren's BootCD, and more recently FalconFour's Ultimate Boot CD because, well, their's are better than the discs I made. And after spending untold hours fighting and cleaning all sorts of malware, now I usually just use the bootCD to copy my files over to a USB HD and then format/reinstall Windoze. It saves me time and trouble in the long run.

All this stuff is available at just about any torrent site. My favorite is Demonoid.me. Registration is now open, so hurry! :D

thanks im registered on demonoid.me (its about time its back open).
also, got a gift from Antipiratbyrån: falcon fours boot cd.:p

messing with the cd now this is all i get now:

2011-08-11_09-41-50_768.jpg

ill fix it later today time for work.

Last edited:
I've had a couple systems do that, where they throw a BSOD even when booting to a setup CD. In those cases I took the drive and added it as a secondary drive in a different machine, destroyed the partitions on the drive, created a new partition or partitions and formatted. After re-creating the drive structure from the ground up I was then able to boot and do a clean install of Windows.

This assumes that the drive is not dead or dying and that you don't have any valuable data on the drive. If you have data on the drive that you want to preserve you would obviously need to attempt copy it from the drive before you destroy the partition(s) if possible.

def get a liveCd of some sort and get the data recovered before the thing takes a dirt nap. once they start clickin' it's a completely different ball game.

hdd failure.....
replace hdd, then scrap winblows and go ubuntu linux similar to win , and mac combined , if you prefer mac flavor use kubuntu with kde4 though with linux you will get familiar with command line linux is less demanding on the cpu as well as linux doesnt have to have all the unnecissary programs running to support the windows gui

If sectors are getting flaky, boot the FalconFour MiniXP and run CHKDSK on C: with the surface analysis. (I believe there's an icon on the desktop.) I've gotten several BSODs to boot and run this way.

I suspect the hard drive is failing. Also its possible if power is interrupted while its writing to the drive it can corrupt data, especially if something is accessing the registry or other important system files.

From how you describe the results of trying to rebuild the MBR and boot, that is locks up, it really does sound like the first bad possibility, bad HDD.

You might could access your data with another machine like you said but I would use some sort of liveCD or live USB system, such as puppy linux
Download Puppy
Thats how I roll, its lightweight but still has enough to get online, access NTFS partitions (Read and write), copy, format, move, and erase partitions, replace corrupt files, etc,etc.
I also use it to scan a windows machine for malware/viruses. Malware that would otherwise take over the windows and use windows to protect itself, is now defenseless when windows is not running.
I can do all this from the GUI, all in a liveCD that loads to ram under 100meg.
BTW it also comes with DVD, mp3 and video codecs out the box, and tons of programs have been compiled for puppy. Its actually somewhat popular as the main OS for older systems.
Good luck with it

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated