1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Key for portable practice oscillator

Discussion in 'General Ham Radio Discussion' started by 338_MtRushmore, Dec 2, 2018.

1. 338_MtRushmore

338_MtRushmore Well-Known Member

I ordered an oscillator kit to build a portable practice kit, but I need to choose a key. I was thinking about this one, but I thought I would see what you all thought. It is going to be an all in one unit, so I would think a small key would be nice? I have never touched a key before. Any thoughts or experience you could give?

http://cwmorse.us/product/black-micro-morse-code-key-with-aluminum-base/

2. sunbulls

sunbulls Well-Known Member

It looks like you made a good choice. I always recommend a "straight key" as a start. Truth is, most of them will get the job done. Just stay away from those ultra cheap ones with no decent bearings or pivot adjustments. IMO Most your time should be spent learning to receive. Sending becomes a natural secondary to receiving. Most people can send almost twice as fast as they can receive, even though they spent little time practicing sending.

338_MtRushmore likes this.
  3. 338_MtRushmore

338_MtRushmore Well-Known Member

I tried once before to learn by receiving only, and I struggled pretty hard. This time I have just been listening for a few minutes, then saying dits and daahs out loud and it seems easier to pick up new letters. I am hoping that actuall keying will instill the sounds and thoughts better. I figured I would order that one Monday unless someone has a better idea.

My biggest fear is my lack of good timing in sending. I have had music teachers play something and when I repeat it, they say it is wrong. I hear no difference though. I would really like an iambic too, if for no other reason than to have a variable timing reference.

4. oldtymer

oldtymer Member

I recommend the Navy style key if you get a straight key.
    Your wrist is at a more comfortable angle as your fingers are straddling the knob.
    Less fatigue in the forearm muscles & tendons that connect to your hand.

Captain Kilowatt likes this.