• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Key up noise..

Louisiana Mudd

X Marine Researcher - AUV / ASV Pilot
May 25, 2020
North West Texas
I am having issues with my radio. When I dead key there is a noise, the best that I can describe what's coming across the talk back is if you would hold the mic out the window at 70mph. It literally sounds like wind coming through the talk back. This is a first for me, has anyone else experienced this?

This sounds a bit like "my car won't start".

Is it a diesel? Front-wheel drive four-banger? Rat rod with a 70's-era big block with two four barrels?

First thing I want to know is what you would hear from a radio on the same channel. If this noise comes only from the talkback and is NOT heard on the air by another radio, this would be important to know.

Talkback methods used in all radios are not created equal. Covers a lot of different types of circuit.

So, uh.. What kind of radio? Sure does make a difference.

If you can, try to find out what another radio is hearing, and if this noise is audible or not. Turn down the mike gain so your talkback audio isn't coming into the mike.

Reactions: tecnicoloco
Not sure if it is coming through over the air, could not reach a contact out here tonight.

It is a RCI-39VHP, it just started doing it when I turned it on tonight.

All good though, I will troubleshoot it. I just thought maybe someone had this happen to them.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.