• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Kicker 500 and misc

IDIeselman

Oct 20, 2010
Lake Michigan
Drinking a few beers while working on snowmobiles last weekend when the chatter turned to radios, turns out my fellow sledheads dad had some old equipment laying in the attic, notice I said had Kicker 500 with new tubes, pre amp, SWR/watt meter, Regency base, Cobra 29 and Palomar 300 all for the paltry sum of $173.00. Now then, I know I have read before and can not find again the reason but, When I key to talk with the 500 powered up everything swings as it should xcept the amp, DK at 300 then swings backward. Any advice would shure be great.

Thanks
Tim

It's swinging backwards for sure, I see no dimming lights or signs of the power supply failing but it could be I suppose.
sale-001.jpg

The meter on the front of the amp should be a plate current meter, if the plate current is going "up" as you talk, you should see forward swing on the meter, if not, try a different wattmeter, some of those old ones I have seen don't show forward swing unless you got a TON of forward swing (like from 1 watt to 100 watts).

Thanks guys! I'll start trying everything posted. It is my understanding you are to adjust the amp everytime it's turned on/warm before broadcasting. If this is correct can someone give me a crash course? It may just be operator error:blushing::unsure:

Agree with others that a 300w dk is too much. With a 4 watt input and decent tubes (>90%) that amp will dk around 200 and swing 3- 350 or so. Can it do more? Yes but it won't sound as good and you will burn through tubes a lot faster.

Thanks guys. I have set it in the closet for now, I do not have a factory 4 watt radio to push it with. Would it cause much harm using it with a new Connex saturn base? 1.7 watts swinging to 60 on the lowest setting.

Thanks guys. I have set it in the closet for now, I do not have a factory 4 watt radio to push it with. Would it cause much harm using it with a new Connex saturn base? 1.7 watts swinging to 60 on the lowest setting.

Sell the kicker to me and clear up some room in your closet. :whistle:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.