• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

KL-200 P

DaleD

Aug 29, 2009
If it's the wrong forum sorry...

I have a new in box RM Italy (I know there cheap) KL-200P amp and was wondering.
Is there anything inside this amp i need to do to use it on 11m's? I just want to see if it works and not burn it up with the first key-up. It will be inline with a 100% stock uniden pro 520xl.

I have searched and but only find the,(There crap amps) type info.

Thanks in advance

Out of the box, that stock 520-XL is going to be too hot to hit that amp. By default, the RM Italy amps only like really low deadkeys, like 1.5-2.0 watts. That 520-XL, I expect is doing 3 or 4 out the box.

Out of the box, that stock 520-XL is going to be too hot to hit that amp. By default, the RM Italy amps only like really low deadkeys, like 1.5-2.0 watts. That 520-XL, I expect is doing 3 or 4 out the box.

Ya thats my next chore to figure out how to lower the deadkey on this thing

am low power is l6 i believe, if its not its l7. one is high power one is deadkey.

no ic2 than it must be done already or its a different model than the currently avialable ones from coppers.

to lower the deadkey on the 520xl (the schematic i looked at is for the 520e, but the part numbers should be the same), you do not want to lower the power by de-tuning L5 and L6.

this will cause an impedance mismatch between transmitter stages, and wont be good for modulation.

first, tune L9, L6, L5, and L4 for maximum swing while saying "ahhh" into the mic.
do not tune them for max deadkey. you must tune them for max watts while speaking into the mic.

once you get them peaked, then lower the deadkey of the radio down to about 1 to 1.5 watts.

the way to lower the deadkey is to locate the anti-spiking diode (D7), which is a 1N4003 rectifier diode right near the modulation transformer.

this diode sends voltage to the driver and final, and by adding more 1N4003 diodes in series with it, you will lower the voltage to the driver and final and thereby lower the deadkey.
modulation will not be reduced by doing it this way.

so get yourself some 1N4003 rectifier diodes, and a wattmeter.
by experimentation, you will find out how many diodes it takes in series to lower the deadkey down from 4 watts to about 1 to 1.5 watts.

if you want to remove the modulation limiter, its D14, but you may find the radio sounds bad after removing it, so get some radio checks, and if they all come back as distorted; put the diode back in.

you can turn VR4 up for more receive gain, but at some point it will create too much noise, so dont just turn it up all the way.
best to do it bit by bit and stop where you are happy with it.

good luck,
LC

I have an older Rat Shack TRC-205 HTs I use as my "trip" cb. It has this "controlled carrier system" which looks a look like DSB supressed carrier to me. I use the HT on "lo" power coupled with a 200P. It performs admirably.

If possible you might keep your eye out for a used Uniden 122xl. They tune up very nice and since it's a SSB radio the power levels are easy to adjust. The 520 is nice but a 122xl will make better use of that amp.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.