• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

KL-203P on a General Lee?

I feel that the Texas star 500 is about the best plug and play mobile amp on the "market" today.
As long as you feed it well with good sized wire and run a external fan on them they provide good gain, work well on both AM and SSB and presents less problems than most of the CB style amps.
Set the dead key at about 100/125 output on AM mode and let them go.
In SSB mode you can run 20 or so watts into them and they work well.

Jeff

ok so the KL is a no go. I've got a dead key of about 10 swinging about 35. The Midnight Special looks interesting....

Sent from my TB782B using Tapatalk 2

Your General Lee should have a Hi Lo power switch. Mine was set up for a 2 watt dead key on Lo and 8 watts on Hi. What are the dead key and swing numbers on your Lee in the Lo setting?

Once you determine this you can 1) decide on what amp will match up best. and 2) determine if your radio needs to be re-tuned so you will have an amplifier setting (Lo) and a barefoot setting (Hi).

To do this you will need a decent external watt meter.

Your General Lee should have a Hi Lo power switch. Mine was set up for a 2 watt dead key on Lo and 8 watts on Hi. What are the dead key and swing numbers on your Lee in the Lo setting?

If I'm reading my Radio Shack meter correctly (PEP) I'm dead keying at 4 watts and swinging about 18 watts.

As stated above I have a Radio Shack meter. I didn't see a model number but it's the same one cbradiomagazine.com did a review on.

Sent from my TB782B using Tapatalk 2

I have been using a kl-300p which is a
two pill with my omega force hp and my
magnum s3 with no problems just turn
varible power knob if you have one down
to about 1-2 watts and it should work the
amp is not very big also.

I have been using a kl-300p which is a
two pill with my omega force hp and my
magnum s3 with no problems just turn
varible power knob if you have one down
to about 1-2 watts and it should work the
amp is not very big also.

Be careful, the OmegaForce HP is a 70-80 watt radio. The kl300p is I believe a 2 pill amp with 1446 finals. Keep your peak input under 25 watts with that amp or it will not last.

Reactions: 2 people

Once you determine this you can 1) decide on what amp will match up best. and 2) determine if your radio needs to be re-tuned so you will have an amplifier setting (Lo) and a barefoot setting (Hi).

I had a variable pot installed on the bottom of my General Lee, that is the best way.

Yea, a variable is always better for sure. At that time I think I was running a Texas Star 350, the 2 watt low setting worked out ok. The old dual 1969 final powered General Lee radio's were too cool. Now everything is mosfet crap.

check out the TNT amp line from Xforce. i've been using the TNT350 with great results on a general lee and also with RCI's 2950DX. they can be had for under $250.00 pull less then 30 amps give a good clean signal and with a general lee you will get around 300 watts and it has it's own built in fan. also if you wanna get a SSB radio to run you'll have still a good clean signal.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.