• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

KL 503 power supply

whiteastro

Feb 22, 2019
Anybody ever run a RM Italy KL503 amp from a 12volt maintenance free battery on a battery maintainer until they could get the proper size power supply ? What's the pros and cons ? This is of coarse for a Base station set up.

It is just the raw power supply module. You have to provide the power cord, switch, enclosure and output terminals to run anything from it. We use them to replace poorly-designed power supplies built into the "big" radios. One drawback of the lowest-price examples of these "brick" supplies can be quality control. We have found solder faults in a few of the very-cheapest ones. And most of them work just fine with no problem.

A brand-name supply like that one from a name brand like MeanWell will tend to cost about twice what the Amazon bargain-basement version does.

But put it in a cabinet with all the hookups, a couple of meters on the front and a variable knob and it won't be nearly this cheap.

But put it in a cabinet with all the hookups, a couple of meters on the front and a variable knob and it won't be nearly this cheap.
Thanks for the input,I am getting to the point where I can turn my attention to my old Palomar 300A amp first before I buy other Amps. Spring time is a busy time with getting prepped for summer but I hate missing all the skip that has been rolling in. Yesterday was a mad-house on the air-waves but I was busy getting my mom set up with a new internet connection and she is 91 YO who is confined because of her age so the internet is part of her entertainment package. Wish I could get some bench time. LOL

DC 12V 50A 600W Power Supply Adapter Transformer Switch AC 110V / 220V to DC 12V 20amp Switching Converter LED Driver for LED Strip Light CCTV Camera Security System Radio,Computer Project,3D Printer
You learn something new everyday. It's cheap enough to have 1 on hand, just in case ! LOL

Yeah I find when you go too cheap it usually comes with problems. I read a couple reviews on that s-700 model and some say the fan is loud, but like always like they say opinions are like the Pooper. LOL

Yeah I find when you go too cheap it usually comes with problems. I read a couple reviews on that s-700 model and some say the fan is loud, but like always like they say opinions are like the Pooper. LOL
I found the fans to be a bit loud, also. I installed a 50 ohm resistor in parallel with the power wire and all is good. Still moves a good amount of air. Plus, they're always on. I'm never pulling that much current for any length of time anyhow.

Reactions: whiteastro
yeah my

Pyramid PS36KX 32 Amp​

is rather noisy also and I should have bought the next size up when I did from Cooper electronics but hind sight is 20/20

I second the megawatt supply, I own 2 of the S-350. One is on the work bench and been running for about 2 years, the other is a spare. Dependable and no birdies! Mine are older versions so the fan is a little loud but not terrible. According to the site, the new models have a different fan that isn't as loud. You've got a much better supply than any of the pyramids.

Here's the link

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.