• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

KL503 amplifier

Straightshooter58

Dec 9, 2015
Rockwall County, Texas
I'm looking at a R.M. KL503 solid state amplifier to replace my old tube amp for a base station set-up..but know nothing about the R.M. product line. I'm running a Icom IC-718..and looking for something(solid State) to get more out of what I have already. Will this work for me or should I look someplace else? Thank You.

It will barely boost the power of that radio by a factor of four-to-one, maybe a little less.

The specs call for a lot less than 100 Watts drive power. A lot less.

[URL]https://www.copperelectronics.com/cart/CW-Amps/Amps/KL-503-Mobile-Amp[/url]

The IC-718 has adjustable transmit power, so you could turn it down to 15 or 20 Watts PEP to match this amplifier.

Hardly seems worth it for no more power boost than that.

A four-to-one increase in power should get you one whole S-unit on the meter at the other end. Of course, receiver S-meters are not all created equal, but I'd be surprise to see that amplifier boost the meter at the other end by more than two S-units on a generous receiver.

Sounds like a lot of dollars per S-unit.

Reactions: AudioShockwav

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.