• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Knock off Base antennas

datsun66

Apr 10, 2005
Lewistown, Montana
I was wondering how good the new Starduster and the Astroplane base antenna are compared to the original one's.
I am currently using a Super Penatrator from the 70's, Would there be any difference?

they are not as good....

However..

Jay/Steve have a exellent antenna that is a modern and improved version of your Super Penatrator from the 70's ..

www.a1antennas.com

his Interceptor I-10K

many people here (including myself ) use it and know it is a exellent antenna..
i know of no one who dis-likes it

it is a little pricy....b ut well worth it
with it....i have managed to talk all over europe,south america(even brazil), africa(including south africa) new zealand,austrailar and tawain

not bad considering i do not have a amp/linear (am barefoot)

KingCobra_CDX882 said:
Jay/Steve have a excellent antenna that is a modern and improved version of your Super Penetrator from the 70's...
This is not entirely true. Let me say it once again as the mis-information doesn't seem to die.

Jay started out trying to rebuild the old Penetrator antenna. That antenna was called the Mastadon 5000. The M-5K never performed adequately due to the original design flaws of the Penetrator antenna.

Jay made a number of changes to Mastadon 5000 and a NEW antenna, COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from the Penetrator was born. He named this the Interceptor 10K!

The I-10K and the Mastadon (upgraded Penetrator copy) are two completely DIFFERENT antennas, both in performance and electrical design.

The original Penetrator was an excellent antenna, but it doesn't hold a candle to the I-10K! To compare the two is an injustice!

Yes...

It is a Totally different antenna
He used the older 70's version as a starting point
Then brought it to where it was far better then the original

I still call it a Modern version of the older super penatrator
So would i trade my I-10K for a Super Penatrator

Ofcourse Not

Devildog, I haven't here from you in a coons age boy. My tail is wagging happly to see your still out there. We miss you.
Ok, I will keep the antenna, but I am going to buy a beam as soon as the finances will allow. The one that still comes to mind is the astrobeam. Small turning radius, light and you can use a small rotor.
Master Chief, I guess when you come up with a great antenna, everybody wants to copy them in one way or another. :usa

Devildog said:
I have never had an Astrobeam, but I have heard that they have a great back door.
I don't see how the Astroplane would have any better back door than a standard 3-element beam. The feedpoint is a bit different, but its still only a 3-element beam.

I believe the feedpoint is only a 1/2 wave due to the lack of length and hat radials found in the 5/8 omni. But, I have not actually measured one.

If I'm correct, then the Astroplane is no better or worse than any other 3-element yagi beam, which is not a bad thing, its just a thing.

Astrobeam element spacing give it a killer backdoor but when you tighten up the back the gain drops.I had one back in the late 70's works real good to knock down locals you don't want to hear.

While its true that element spacing will change parameters such as SWR, F/B, F/R, and forward gain, what do you define as "killer"?

I'll play with a standard 3-element model and see what the best F/B I can get.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.