• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Kris brand 5-band "Amatuer" base linear. Seriously.

nomadradio

Analog Retentive
Apr 3, 2005
Louisville, KY
www.nomadradio.com
Here's an amplifier I had never seen nor heard of before this one came to visit a while back. It's a brand name I really don't associate with legit ham gear. No idea how many of these they made.

sRfIXn.jpg

Or when it was made. Dates visible on filter caps are 1974.

Has two 4CX250B tubes in parallel.

tOHh69.jpg

This tube takes scandalously little power to drive. 9/10 of the power from a wimpy legal CB gets thrown away in resistors wired across the tube's input side.

Seems like they wanted to also accommodate the drive level from a typical 100-Watt ham transceiver. So, instead of throwing 90 percent of the drive power into resistors, you'll throw 99 percent of it away. Brilliant.

uOj8bv.jpg

Looks just as wonky up close.

ycbJGO.jpg

This is what's on the other end of that knob.

Cl1z8s.jpg

This appears to select between grounded grid and grounded cathode. The higher drive level in grounded-grid mode will be closer to that 100-Watt peak level, but not quite.

In the interest of sanity, this got removed. The owner only wanted straight low-drive 11 meter input, so that's what he got.

60J8pZ.jpg

The underside looks legit enough. Except for the 1974 date codes on the HV filter caps.

M5UQa7.jpg

In all honesty, I would admit to a lot of good points in this design. But if what your marketing department wants is credibility in the ham-radio market, you could start with hiring a proofreader.

4QAjxs.jpg

Yeah, I purposely copied this misspelling of "amateur" for the title of the post. After all, that seems to be what it's called.

And no, I have never even encountered the slightest rumor of a manual or a diagram for it.

If you have one, I'm certainly interested.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.