• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

L37 RCI-2995DXCF How tune?

ALANFede

Feb 27, 2022
Good morning, during the alignment of 2995 ranger, the L37 is requested to adjust to max output, but I've had no variation. It's work on IC9, aTDA 6130. Some suggestion, please.
Thank You.
Federico

If you're following the service manual's instructions and using an oscilloscope which is the easiest way to see the peak at the Base of Q64 (TP17).
Have you tried to detune L38 first, then tuning L37 and watching the scope for its peak output? Then going back to retune L38 for its peak output. It may take a few tries before you're happy, but you"ll get the hang of it.

Thank you for the valuable suggestions, unfortunately the manual I'm using is very lacking on how to perform the alignment steps specifically. I'm also having difficulty with the noise blanker, which I can't get to the required voltage on the TP1.
Is it possible to find a complete and detailed service manual?! Thank you all.

For some advice...

Be careful with this.

You do this with the AMP side off, disable it - verify that you have enough power and the current is stable under your testing conditions.

L37 is the TX side of L17 - the IF from the VCO.

So you'll need to verify TP3 is properly peaked - not just by looking for maximum - but maximum without flattopping which, in this chassis, it is easily capable to do.

Once you overpeak, then L37 or anything further down - is moot - won't work.

Best to detune / retune TP3 and ensure your P-2-P values are not flat-topping on your scope image. AT L17!

Then retune L37 - for you'll find L17 then will "buffer" between RX and TX side better.

In the tuning manual from cbtricks - the L17 is peaked using RX AM mode

Note the use of the amp in Strong Brackets " [ ] "

Do the low power first - then worry, or indulge yourself - with the amp on...

1679871635247.png
1679871672133.png
1679871935515.png

Reactions: DoctorAudio
We set the radio to sideband, (either, doesn't matter) and set mike gain for about 2 Watts with a steady 1 kHz tone in the mike. Holding the power this low makes the peak a lot easier to see.

I'll second this procedure.
it absolutely makes the peaks easier to see, especially with the widebanded coils used in these multiband radios.

one thing to note about the alignment instructions found in service manuals is that they were written by a technician for a technician.

there are a lot of assumptions made about the ability and experience level of the person expected to be able to make it all work.
LC

Thank You so much. I'll You update. I'm trying to understand this radio. I'm sorry, where can I found spare parts, like variable inductance for Ranger radios?!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.