• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Lafayette Telsat SSB 140

I've done a lot of board spraying in the day and any diode that is cracked is no good at least that has been my experience. Does the radio turn on but does not operate? Like no recieve or transmit?? Do you have a signal generator you have access to so if you were to tap components on the board while the generator is running you could see is the recieve changes??

I do have receive on upper ,lower, and am. I have changed alot of parts and now the receive on ssb is off frequency. If you read my first post on this radio u may get somemore info on the rig. I thought the diodes were no good also but just the outer covering had cracked. I still have good voltages. The cracks are visible with a magnifying glass, which I use to scan the trace and components for any sign of damage. I do not have access to any test equipment other than a multitester. The radio was returned from a local repair shop unfixed after spending 2 weeks there. Several techs checked it out. I am going to use it as a parts radio for the one I bought off of ebay. I want to venture into a stringer board install, probably into a trc453.

sounds more like a tr switching issue.
the feedback when it died is the clue.
its just a cb.couldnt be that hard to troubleshoot!

LAFAYETTE TELSAT SSB-140

Well I was blessed this past week that I came across one of these on Craigslist while on vacation in Tennessee.I picked it up for $50 & it came with a Bearcat 20 watt external speaker & a hand help power microphone.I have not figured out why the seller gave me the Bearcat speaker since the radio does not have an external speaker jack in it? I cleaned it up with some Never Dull on the face & knobs & cleaned behind the knobs & blew a ton of dust out of it.I plugged in a Silver Eagle D-104 & have gotten nothing but great audio reports.Everyone says she's loud & proud.She has a very quiet receiver as well.The receive light is out but that's an easy fix & I'm putting blue LED'S in the meters because I say one on YouTube with them & it looks AWESOME! It's a Beautiful addition to my CB Base Radio Collection.She has found a new home for as long as I'm around. {:>)
**Jump_im**

God bless,
"SIX-SHOOTER"
North Florida

Reactions: 2 people
It is a CB Radio. Simple design at that. What you need is a "Real" tech, not a parts swapper that is poking around looking for burned components, and cracked ones. Normally if something goes bad, it could be something on the other side of the board causing it.

Take it to a real tech, and have them fix it. But the more hands that get in it the worse it can get. I know. I have seen parts in backwards, etc that took me time to find all of their mistakes, THEN I could FINALLY get down to finding and correcting the original issues.

Reactions: Scott Johnson

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.